Stacia's Reviews > Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa

Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason  Stearns

1998675
Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: africa, nonfiction, 2012
Read from April 12 to 23, 2012

The more I read about African history and politics, the more I realize I will probably never understand African history and politics. Africa is such a huge place, with diverse and complex histories (and yes, I meant that in the plural), and all too often, it seems, Westerners tend to view it as a monolithic primitive place with a primitive culture, which is completely wrong.

The author of Dancing in the Glory of Monsters does a very good job of placing the Congo wars into perspective. He refers to them as an African World War, which I think is appropriate; in a nation the size of Western Europe and with the involvement of some nine countries and 20 rebel factions, I think this qualifies. The book is very readable and isn't overly academic; it's packed with interviews and statistics, but they are both necessary and well-integrated into the text. Recommended for anyone who wants to learn about this deadly conflict.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing in the Glory of Monsters.