Patrice's Reviews > Fever 1793

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in October, 2011

A historic young adult fiction novel with strong female characters, strong and positive depiction of people of color, and a small enough dose of love story to be un-gag worthy.

Fever 1793, is a winner winner chicken dinner.

I'm on a weekend bender of young adult fiction and have just made my way through three novels. Two of the three novels were so crap-tastic, I almost wanted to re-read Ulysses. I finished this book feeling like I'd actually learned something and hadn't wasted three hours of my life.

Fever 1793, is an entertaining and fast paced look at one of Philadelphia's earliest yellow fever (malaria) outbreaks. While other reviewers complain that the characters weren't described well enough, I felt as if there wasn't a deficit of description. I enjoyed the passages that gave me a sense of what the city streets may have been like in the days after the Revolutionary War. Passages about life near the waterfront, in the small coffee shops, markets, and neighborhoods made me want to visit present day Philadelphia to learn more about American history.

I'm going to keep this book in my bag of curriculum ideas if I ever teach middle school social studies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever 1793.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Metcalfe I sure hope you get to teach middle school. You will be an awesome teacher! You are also an awesome book reviewer!!! The New York Times should hire you.

Patrice Thanks Mom!

Kanechroncilesrules I agree that you should be a teacher.