Christy (TheReaderBee)'s Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

2201617
The Future of Us was a really nostalgic read for me. I remember getting my first computer around the time AOL was becoming popular. So reading this book brought back a lot of memories for me.

The main characters in the story were Emma, and her best friend/neighbor, Josh. Emma has just gotten her first computer from her dad, and while she’s setting it up, Josh brings over a CD for America Online. After creating her account on AOL, Emma discovers another website called Facebook, which allows her to see herself, Josh, and all their friends and family members, 15 years into the future.

I found the Emma and Josh to be likable characters, although they never really did anything that made them stand out. I found Emma to be a bit frustrating at times, because she never seemed to be happy with her life, and some of the decisions she made were really rash. I really enjoyed the secondary characters as well. Emma and Josh’s best friends, Tyson and Kellan were really great characters. I think I may have liked them a bit more than the main characters.

I love, love, love all the references from the 1990’s. This really brings back memories of my teen years. The music that is mentioned in the book is the same music I listened to: Dave Matthews Band and Green Day. I loved them! There was also mention of the movie Wayne’s World. I remember watching that movie all the time! Reading this book brought it all rushing back. Those were the good times!

Overall, this book was an enjoyable read. It brought back a whole lot of memories for me, and it was great to step back in time for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.