Steph's Reviews > Really Unusual Bad Boys

Really Unusual Bad Boys by MaryJanice Davidson

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: kill-them-all, light-read, bitchy-annoying-women, die-die-die-die-die-die-die-die
Recommended for: Anyone who is bored and stuck for something to do.
Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert **
The first story, Bridefight, piqued my interest, even if I didn't like the heroine (Lois). The beginning was interesting, very promising. Her first meeting with her love interest, Damon, was also pretty cool (in my opinion). However, it pretty much crashed soon after this. I think the reasons were, mainly, the characters; Lois was kinda erratic and bitchy, and Damon was sweet, and kind of innocent and... boring. The way in which Lois found her mother was odd, too, and didn't sit well with me. The writing was simple and easy to read, so I had no real qualms with that.

With the second story, Mating Season, I really liked the second heroine (Anne), how strong she was and how she spoke about 'finally getting out of the kitchen' (She came from 1945) to fight in WW2, but found the plot slightly boring. It also solidified my opinion of Lois; bitchy, unnecessary potty mouth. I liked how Anne ripped her a new one. Other than that, I found the story kind of tiresome. There was only one part that make me laugh a bit:

"And I'd better not push my fucking luck unless I want to sleep on the couch for the rest of the week."
"What is a couch?" Maltese asked.
"It is a thing where you cannot mate," Damon explained. "It is a terrible, terrible place."

Yeah, that made me lol.

Groomfight , the last story, was the worst, in my opinion. I was bored with both the plot and the characters. The hotties on my bedroom posters have more appeal and character than both the heroine (Rika) and hero (Shakar) put together. I was also irritated in the middle where Rika wanted to fight, and everyone but Shakar was willing to support her. Well, that's all fine and dandy, but RIKA is PREGNANT. I'm all for female strength and the ability to fight, but all that and pregnancy is an entirely different matter. Lois, staying within character, again proceeded to piss me off.

"Then he will get much more mad, because Rica will not fight."
"Well, it's not to the death or anything, right?"
"The baby must not be harmed. And Rica was not birthed here. She is from your world," he said, nodding at Lois.
"Oh, I get it. She doesn't do the Puma thing. Yeah, it doesn't seem like it'd be a fair fight. But I think a pregnant woman knows what she can and can't—"

'It's not to the death or anything'?! Well, not if you count the fact that Rika might miscarry. What are you going to do, Lois? Tell all of the contestants to go easy on her because she's got a bun in the oven? Stupid woman.

'I think a pregnant woman knows what she can and can't do'?! (I think that in itself proves my point) Stupid, STUPID Lois.

* * *

All in all, the book was meh. There were times where I shifted between mild interest and intense frustration (Lois). A few characters were okay, and the world building wasn't elaborate but it was, again, meh. The writing and descriptions were almost ordinarily bland, and I don't think I'm the first reader to point out that the title 'Really Unusual Bad Boys' was seriously misleading. My orthodontist is more of a bad ass than the entire royal family (King included).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Really Unusual Bad Boys.