Dawn Michelle's Reviews > Veil of Roses

Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald

May 19, 10

bookshelves: books-read-in-2008, books-i-cant-live-without, books-read-in-2010
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Kelly Maister
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a good story
Read in May, 2008

WHAT a great story!!!

I think that we forget (even with things on the news) what a great life and what great freedoms we have in America (and in Canada). This book reminded me over and over again.

Tamila (Tami) is from Iran. Her parent's (knowing from personal experience of living once in the US) work to get her a visa to go to America for 3 months. Once there, her goal is to find a husband, so she can stay in America for good.
Her sister and brother-in-law (who married and escaped Iran 15 years earlier) begin setting her up with eligible Persian men who are sympathetic to the situation.

Trouble is, Tami (while going to her English-enrichment class~which, btw, introduces us to many interesting characters who give strength to Tami at crucial times) meets and American man and has to choose~tradition, and all she knows, or hope, dreams (something most Iranian women don't ever dare to do)and love.

I so enjoyed this book, even though many parts are very sad (in a very thought-provoking way). It really made me think about what I have in this life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4 Stars
Read~May 20, 2010

I find it very ironic that I first read this book almost to this date 2 years ago. And my impressions are pretty much the same as they were back then. We take SO MUCH for granted here. And that is Tami's biggest "gripe" with Americans. How much they take for granted and how much they assume. We really don't realize what these women in places like Iran and Afghanistan REALLY go through.

There was much more swearing (from one character really) than I had remembered. I think that the first time, I was so caught up in Tami's story, that I wasn't bothered by it. And I can't say that I was totally bothered by it this time. It was used more to make and prove a point. And the author (in my opinion) succeeds.

Great read!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Roses.

05/14/2010 page 25