Ken's Reviews > House of Dark Shadows

House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo

M 50x66
May 21, 08

Recommended for: young boys who like adventure stories
Read in May, 2008

Liparulo's adult books, "Comes a Horseman" and "Germ" are among the best thrillers I have ever read, so I had very high expectations for his young readers series. Book one disapointed me. I'll at least give book 2 a chance and see if it improves, since I know the man can write a great book.

The King family moves to a new and remote little town and moves into a spooky old house. That pretty much sums up the first half of the book. In the second half, things actually start to happen. The house has a hallway of doors that lead to different times and places. There is one great scene in which Xander, the 15 year old main character steps into the middle of a gladiatorial combat in the Roman Colliseum during its heyday. Liparulo can write action very well. He just didn't have nearly enough of it in this first book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Dark Shadows.

Sarah Thompson Have to disagree with you on this one. Thought it was fantastic, and I too have read his "adult" books. One thing I'll say, though: the other books int he series step up the action considerably. This one sets up the locale, characters, and problem. It's really one long story told over a series of books, so this one bore the brunt of setting up all the others. I still liked it, but the others in the series are better.