Katie's Reviews > A Dime a Dozen

A Dime a Dozen by Mindy Starns Clark

Dec 23, 11

Read from October 15 to 17, 2011

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Mindy Clarke is a new author to me, but a quick peak on Amazon.com showed me that she is really into the mysteries! I do enjoy a good mystery, myself, on occasion, and found the one Mindy created inside of A Dime a Dozen very intriguing. A bit slow-paced for me, but the plot was very intricate and well done.

Callie is a character you can’t help but get to like. With a close relationship to the Lord that you can feel just by the way she talks, I found her a really likeable character. The story is set around her trip back to her deceased husband’s home town of Greenbriar, where Callie returns on her next assignment from J.O.S.H.U.A (a foundation that donates money to charitable organizations), which is to look into the charity organization there and talk with the founder, who just happen to be her husband’ parents.

Reading how Callie walks through these hard experiences, while handling her investigation for J.O.S.H.U.A and trying to solve a mystery, I loved watching her faith in God shine through. And her budding relationship surrounding the elusive and mysterious Tom added to the story! Tom sounded like such a romantic! ;-) Everything was well plotted and portrayed in this novel, and I while I did try to put my detective skills to work and figure out “who dunnit” before Callie…I ended up being as shocked as she when the culprit was finally revealed. Great job on that.

The way this book is written reminded me a lot of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Kinda like Callie is writing in her personal journal about her events of the day (like Doctor Watson does). Not sure if the author meant it that way, but that was what popped into my head as I read this book. Brought a different feel to the first-person point of view that was neat.

As I mentioned before, I felt the whole mystery was a bit slow. Toward the middle my attention started lagging and I found myself skimming a bit, but it wasn’t for long. The last hundred pages picked up as the mystery started to come together and the culprit was discovered. If you’re a mystery genre lover, then I would definitely check out Mindy Clarke’s books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dime a Dozen.

10/15/2011 page 23
7.0% "Neat so far. Reading kinda like a personal journal. Looking forward to the mystery! :-)"
10/17/2011
50.0% "They jus found a mummified person...kinda gross"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cathy Daniel You would have enjoyed it so much more if you read the first two books. This is the 3rd and the characters and relationships were naturally built up.