Lisa's Reviews > Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks

Web Form Design by Luke Wroblewski

Jun 11, 08

Recommended for: user interface designers
Read in June, 2008

Wroblewski provides an excellent overview of interface design best practices for Web-based forms. He also provides specific, real-life critiques of what works and what does not in various interface designs. In particular I liked the "Selection-Dependent Inputs" chapter where he subjects various design methods to usability testing and reports on the results. I also like his argument for avoiding forms altogether, at least until you have engaged the user.

Unfortunately, as of the time of this review, you will not be able to follow many of his best practices if your sites are required to be accessible, as he relies heavily on JavaScript and AJAX for his interface designs and does not discuss workarounds. He also makes a few recommendations that require persistent cookies, which U.S. Government sites can't use without a waiver.

He says that implementation discussions are out of scope for this book. Hopefully browsers will soon be compatible with the ARIA standard and we will be able to follow more of the approaches that he recommends in this text. This book is an easy read and I recommend it to all UI designers.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Web Form Design.