Joan Winnek's Reviews > Visitation

Visitation by Jenny Erpenbeck

Nov 04, 2011

Recommended to Joan by: ·Karen·
Read from November 03 to 04, 2011 , read count: 1

I read this in one day, it completely absorbed me. Unusual construction, beautiful writing--how I wish I had enough German to appreciate this in the original, although the translation seems excellent. Except for the title: Heimsuchung is much more evocative than Visitation. Although I have this from the library, I know I will reread it, probably recommend it to my book club, maybe give it to everyone I know for Christmas. A heart-breaking book.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visitation.

Quotes Joan Liked

Jenny Erpenbeck
“Home. When it rains, you can smell the leaves in the forest and the sand. It's all so small and mild, the landscape surrounding the lake, so manageable. The leaves and the sand are so close, it's as if you might, if you wanted, pull them on over your head. And the lake always laps at the shore so gently, licking the hand you dip into it like a young dog, and the water is soft and shallow.”
Jenny Erpenbeck, Visitation
tags: home

Jenny Erpenbeck
“... it would be lovely if he and his wife would succeed in dying before the matter of inherited property was finally settled. Then the person giving the speech at the funeral would be able to say that until the very end they had been able to pursue what they loved: sailing. [p. 121]”
Jenny Erpenbeck, Visitation

·Karen· Ooooh goodie! Did the library have it?

Joan Winnek It did.

message 3: by Teresa (last edited Nov 04, 2011 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa My library doesn't have it. With the great reviews from Karen and now you, Joan, I'm gonna have to buy this one!

Joan Winnek Check out amazon.

Teresa Thanks, Joan. I ended up ordering it from ABE Books.

·Karen· I'm glad you liked it Joan. It's always a bit worrying, having praised a book up, if then your friends might be disappointed.