Andee Browne's Reviews > The Wild Swans

The Wild Swans by Peg Kerr

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, 2010-2011-library-pulls, gbltq
Read from October 15 to 17, 2011

I pulled this book off a library stack on a whim; it was by an author i'd never heard of and i didn't expect much from it; instead i found myself moved almost to tears by the end both by Eliza's familiar (I was a big fan of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales as a kid) yet still compelling story and its counterpart set in somewhat more contemporary times, when a young man exiled from his former life finds family, friends and love within the early 1980s gay subculture of New York, only to contend with slowly losing said family, friends and love to a curse as grave and costly as the one set on Eliza's brothers.

Elias' chapters are somewhat better than Eliza's due to richer characterizations (Most of her brothers are only mentioned in passing and by name if extremely lucky; Elias and Sean's clique of friends fare much better in the development/personality departments) and some attempts to bridge the two stories come off a wee bit hamhanded, which keeps this book at four stars instead of five. Still an excellent read for anyone who loves a tragic love story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Swans.

10/15/2011 page 44