Alkyoni's Reviews > Mind Games

Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

3720870
Dec 27, 15

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, x-men, nobody-puts-baby-in-the-corner, series-completed, say-anything, if-i-were-stuck-on-a-desert-island, first-in-a-series, the-evi-files
Recommended to Alkyoni by: missEvi [can't commit to a book]
Read from May 12 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

A psychological hit squad that fights crime by channeling its member’s neuroses into their targets. Wait, what?

There’s a Mongolian restaurant somewhere in Midcity. Its door bears the mysterious symbol of a laughing giant, its indoors decoration is the definition of kitsch and it’s filled with the smells of kebab and ouzo. Plus it serves really bad coffee. It is also the meeting point for a group of people who have as many similarities between them as the kids from the Breakfast Club did. A mysterious restaurateur, a woman who believes that a vain in her brain is gonna explode any minute now, a guy full of rage, a girl who knows with absolute certainty that happiness is an illusion, a gambler, an alcoholic, a man with no self esteem and another one that loses sleep over a potential war over water... What do all these people have in common? Why, they are members of a crime fighting squad of course.

I really don’t want to give away the plot, it will take forever to explain what’s going on in this book and I don’t want to give away any spoilers either.

I’ll just say that I’m a little bit ashamed to admit that I was mentally prepared to not like Justine, the hypochondriac main character. It was wrong of me and I’m glad that I was mistaken. She’s great, she’s funny, she’s smart and yes, she is the kind of person that gets abducted by Jack the Ripper and freaks out because the scalpel he’s about to use on her hasn’t been sterilized.

I should also mention that it took me a while to get used to Crane’s writing. It’s full of everyday dialog and there were times when it felt like I was reading a script instead of actually reading a book.

But the plot… It’s insane I tell you! Where did the woman come up with such an idea? It’s so original and action packed, full of twists and surprises. Oh and romance.

There is some cheesy dialog and no matter how original this book is, it just couldn’t escape the UF norm of a love triangle BUT it is really well written and so far the best love triangle that I’ve ever read about.

For me to give 5 stars would mean that I find the book to be perfect in every possible way. This book might not perfect but it is so original that I just can’t bring myself to give it a lower rating. Please, please, please next two books, be as good as this one.

14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind Games.

Quotes Alkyoni Liked

Carolyn Crane
“You're right. I'm not the kind of woman to do something foolish out of defiance. I am, however, the kind of woman who would do something just to prove that you can't tell me what kind of woman I am.”
Carolyn Crane, Mind Games

05/13/2012 page 72
19.0% "I can understand the low average rating, it's definitely not for everyone. But I like it so far." 4 comments
05/14/2012 page 268
72.0% "Yeap, I'm officially loving it."

missEvi [can't commit to a book] I am so glad you liked it!! It's insanely original!

Alkyoni I really did. I spent about half an hour thinking if I liked it or loved it. I did have some issues with the dialog, but what the heck, it was awesome in every other way :)

Fani Fovero review! Nomizw to periegrapses teleia:)

Alkyoni axou, eyxaristw Fani!

Fani den einai ypervolh, oyte eygeneia, thn alh8eia lew. Egw pali otan trela8w me ena vivlio, synh8ws mplikarw kai den kserw pws na to perigrapsw. Otan omws den moy aresei, ginomai lalistath kai h kakia paei synnefo, lol!

Alkyoni kala ayto isxyei! Egw polles fores kai na trelainomai me ena vivlio, kataleigw na grafw tis leptomeries poy den mou aresan gia na exw kati na pw...

message 7: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. Excellent review. I don't know why I didn't read it before, but I love your review style. I'm excited to read this one!

Alkyoni And it's got romance in it too ^^ :)