Pete Morin's Reviews > Liver Let Die

Liver Let Die by Liz Lipperman

Oct 15, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Liz Lipperman uses her first in the "Clueless Cook" series to show us she knows just how to craft that cozy mystery with a big honking grin on her face.

Brassy aspiring sports writer Jordan Macallister, stuck instead writing personal ads in a backwater town, takes an assignment as a food critic, even though she can't make toast. On her first assignment, the classiest restaurant Texas has to offer, she dumps the foie gras in her purse rather than - ugh - eat it, and thereby becomes (unwittingly) the cause celebe in town. That little stunt also implicates her in a diamond smuggling operation and several murders.

Madcap action ensues.

I deduct one star because the genre isn't my particular bag. Liz's characterizations here are on a par with Sue Grafton's, and I suspect their two heroines would get along quite well. The plot is designed to entertain, and by the end, reaches near parody level.

There is one niggling detail that really bugs me, though. That is the idea that any self-respecting "fancy" restaurant, even one in Texas, would serve its foie gras out of a can.

That's just a crime.

Liz Lipperman is one funny woman. I look forward to the next one, to see what absurd dilemma Jordan gets herself into.

I like the recipes at the end too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liver Let Die.