Spypigeon's Reviews > Love That Dog

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Oct 15, 2011

liked it

For our poetry unit last year, we had to hear the audio version of this book. I think that sort of took away from it, because I found the voice of the reader very annoying. Especially when I had to hear him( the audio reader) say 'Walter Dean Myers' about 20 times in a few minutes. Bad poetry books always sound stupid when you read then aloud, because when you read in your head they sort of look nice in format, but speaking them makes it sound like it came from the mind of a small child. In fact, a lot of the time it seems like Sharon Creech (normally a pretty decent author) didn't even try to put effort into it.
Anyways, this book is about a boy who has to do a poetry unit and class. Soon, the story unfolds a lot of details about his life and about his pet dog. I must admit the parts about his dog actually are pretty nice, and I did feel the boy's love for his dog.
This book is basic, though it progresses nicely. Like there is character devolpment, and the boy isn't an annoying character. Also, if you don't really want to look at poems for long, this is a short read. It is a children's book, which means I'm not completely bashing it. I recommend for smaller kids though, no one over elementary school age, but I can see parents liking it. It's a nice setting the author has set up, and it takes away the problems with the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love That Dog.