Eva's Reviews > The Love of My Youth

The Love of My Youth by Mary Gordon

Oct 15, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

At first I found The Love of My Youth to be a bit too slow paced, but then I realized the books is intended to feel like one of the ambling walks that the books is structured around. Miranda and Adam find themselves in Rome almost 40 years after they broke up. Adam proposes they meet for a walk each day where he’ll show her one beautiful thing. The story flows back and forth between their late-middle-aged present and the heady days of their first love in high school and college.
The book appears to be a dialogue Gordon has with herself about love and life. Adding to this sense is the annoying way Gordon forgets dialogue tags. The character both speak so eloquently that its hard to determine which person is speaking. Adam is devoted to art, Miranda is devoted to good works, but the conversations sound like one person split in two. And perhaps that’s the point.
This is not a book that mourns the past, or even explains it, but accepts it, and for that I’m grateful. How wonderful to accept that your life is the way it is and no other path would have been preferable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love of My Youth.