Joy's Reviews > The Hunt For Red October

The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy

Oct 20, 11

Read from October 15 to 20, 2011

This was my first taste of Tom Clancy, and I'm eager for more! The Hunt for Red October paints an international picture of political and military affairs and the secrets they make and defend, spanning the globe from the United States to Great Britain to the Soviet Union. I won't give any spoilers here, so that's all I will say. You will enjoy the twists and surprises along the way!

At first glance the overwhelming number of names, places and terms combined with some in depth description seem to be a mire waiting to bog down any reader; but Clancy shows a mastery of character development and pace throughout his story. The character development, foreshadowing and deep conflicts rush the reader along. Clancy weaves together various agencies and political and military players across the globe--building characterization with each and tying them all together as players in a universal game--a game of life and death. He provides a fascinating detailed account of the chain of command and daily operations for maintaining the safety of our borders--from the front lines to the highest office to the go-betweens, including the ones we don't even know about.

From the subject matter and the amount of detail included in this book, I fully expected Clancy to come from a highly decorated military background. Imagine my surprise when I read he was an insurance broker! Certainly he has only become a better writer since the release of The Hunt for Red October in 1984; and I'm anxious to read more of his works.

It did take some special concentration to keep up with all the different submarines, aircraft carriers, planes, helicopters and command posts as well as the key players in each; but Clancy's quick and compelling characterization of the main men helped me remember them. His descriptions painted such detailed pictures, I have in my mind what everything should look like--I just hope I'm not disappointed when I watch the movie!

One more thing I would mention--and perhaps this is included in other editions: It would help to have a map in the book indicating the various locations of ships, personnel and commands integral to the story as well as diagrams of ships' and subs' movements.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt For Red October.

10/16/2011 page 17