PoligirlReads's Reviews > What Color Is Your Parachute?: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers

What Color Is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles

Oct 15, 11

Read in October, 2011

Note: I actually read the 2012 version, but I didn't see it listed under the available versions to review.

I had been aware of this book for quite awhile, but never had any desire to read it. I figured it was one of those "I'm okay, you're okay" touchy-feely find yourself sort of book. And, well, it is that. But it's a lot more, too. There is a reason this book has been published in one form or another for the past 40 years: it's an excellent guidebook for thinking not just about how to find a job, but how to find a career that can offer fulfillment. It's chock-full of web resources and has suggestions for ways to seek jobs off-line as well.

The most surprising section was Ch. 5's evaluation of the least and most successful job-hunting techniques. The most important advice he gives? Have alternatives. Don't get stuck looking (or thinking) in only one direction.

One small quibble: I didn't like the layout. Why is the career brainstorming section tucked in the middle? Shouldn't it be at the outset, and then you would use that insight to then enter the job-seeking process? Oh well. Maybe that's me. The man has sold countless books over four decades, so clearly this isn't a barrier for folks.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Color Is Your Parachute?.