Morgan's Reviews > The Crows of Pearblossom

Jun 02, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: children-s
Read in October, 2011

This children's story caught my attention, since the author is Aldous Huxley and I had no idea he'd ever written such a work. This was written for his niece, Olivia, as a Christmas gift to her, and has long been out of print. Olivia brought the book to life again through the illustrations of Sophie Blackall, and a new generation of readers can read this book. It's also interesting to note that Pearblossom is the real-life location near where the Huxleys lived in California. The Yosts, mentioned in the book, were real-life neighbors of Olivia and her famous uncle.

The story is a bit macabre, as it centers around a rattlesnake who eats Mrs. Crow's eggs. Eventually Mr. Crow and Mr. Yost figure out a way to trick the rattlesnake, who eventually ties himself up in a knot and is used as a clothes line for Mrs. Crow. The story is indicative of the times--the father crow works all day and comes home to the constantly pregnant mother crow, and must solve her problem, but the illustrations are cute and, as someone who hates snakes, I LOVED the resolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crows of Pearblossom.