David Hammond's Reviews > The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design

The Cosmic Landscape by Leonard Susskind

Jan 08, 12

Read from December 22, 2011 to January 08, 2012

This book is a wonderful review of 20th and 21st century physics. Susskind does an amazing job of explaining things so that a layman such as myself can understand them, or at least get a better sense of what truly understanding them would mean. Although I know that I will forget many of the finer points in short order, I at least feel that I now have a better grasp of many of the major advances in physics from the last century.

Susskind spends a great deal of time and energy in this book defending the anthropic principle, and I found these parts of the book the least interesting. Perhaps I am not embroiled enough in the debate to totally get the point of it. As he explains it, the anthropic principle is a framework for explaining and exploring the properties of our universe. It is not, I don't think, the only framework for doing so. Oh, well, that's not for us laymen to argue about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cosmic Landscape.