Colleen's Reviews > Running Out of Time

Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: childrens
Read in January, 1997

This book, for about 10-14 year old girls, reads like a rebuttal to the pioneer-girl fantasies those same girls likely had a few years earlier if they read The Little House Collection or played Oregon Trail -- at any rate, those fantasies stand a chance of giving the young reader a better chance of understanding this surprisingly sophisticated and action-packed novel. The driving motivation behind the book's set-up is the lure of old-timey charm on tourists, which has been perverted in a twist by an evil corporation (as I recall, one of my first introductions to that breed in literature (though Alex Mack, on Nick, had already introduced it in television.)

If I had visited Colonial Williamsburg as a kid after reading this, I probably would have been terrified.

As it was, I only wished I could believe that, thrown into the same situation, I would be as awesome as Jessie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Out of Time.

03/11 marked as: read

Jordan I think that this book is appropriate for ages 8-15.

Jordan Why only girls?

Colleen I'm sure plenty of boys would enjoy the book (ditto kids outside the age range I mentioned) -- I was just reflecting on how among girls, some of the typical younger-girl interests like Little House on the Prairie would really prime their interest in this book, a few years later.

Jordan Colleen wrote: "I'm sure plenty of boys would enjoy the book (ditto kids outside the age range I mentioned) -- I was just reflecting on how among girls, some of the typical younger-girl interests like Little House..."
kk. see ya.