Rolange's Reviews > Dime Store Magic

Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

F_50x66
Oct 15, 11

Read in October, 2011

I read Dime Store Magic after I read Stolen, where I was introduced to the characters of Paige Winterborne and Savannah Levine. I have to admit, after reading Stolen I really wasn't sure I wanted to continue with the series. I just didn't connect to the werewolf characters, Elena or Clayton. Maybe Patricia Briggs spoiled werewolves for me. I only read Dime Store Magic because my sister assured me that Armstrong's witch and sorcerer characters were much better written than her werewolves characters.

And I'm glad I did read it. Paige was one of the characters in Stolen that I really liked and I was intrigued to see how she was going to handle taking on being a foster parent to Savannah, who is a powerful witch in her own right with a penchant, much like her mother, for the dark side. I did find Savannah a pain in the ass, impetuous, with a penchant for throwing tantrums. But what teenager doesn't? The problem is, when Savannah throws tantrums...people could get hurt.

I really liked the introduction of Lucas Cortez. He comes with his own complicated history that is sure to cause him and Paige some concern in the future. If they stay together that is. I haven't read the sequals and it's my understanding that the books focus on other characters.

I did find the book a little slow in terms of moving the plot forward and we also don't find out much about secondary characters and their motivations. For instance, Lucas could have been more rounded out but there was also Kristoff Nast and Victoria Aldren whose motivations could have been more fully explored. But...that would have also taken away from Paige's POV so I could see why that wasn't done. Anyhow, I enjoyed this book more than the werewolf one so much so that I am going to try and find another in the witch series, hopefully something with Paige.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dime Store Magic.