Mary's Reviews > 501 Must-Read Books

501 Must-Read Books by Emma Beare

Jul 07, 08

Recommended to Mary by: the good people of goodreads
Recommended for: lovers of authors and bibliophiles
Read in July, 2008

I picked this book up in the bargain books area of Borders this past weekend. Several people on Goodreads suggested this as a good reference to find good books and I can see why now after devouring the whole thing in one weekend. In the process I was able to find 12 books to add to my "to read" list - My Left Foot, Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life, Brain Wave, It, and Unless among others.

Anyone who is interested in the lives of authors will love this book. I expected to only find lists of books with boring plot summaries, but found the writing to be interesting and the facts shared about various authors was a bonus. Many of the pages had photos of authors, which I like, being a collector of black and white postcards of favorite authors such as Toni Morrison, Stephen King, Virginia Wolfe, Ernest Hemingway, etc.

My best find was a science fiction book called Brain Wave by Poul Anderson. It centers around the earth's atmosphere changing and causing people and animals to become smarter literally overnight and is told from the viewpoints of several characters who are affected in different ways.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 501 Must-Read Books.