Tamara Rose Blodgett's Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: action, contemporary, drama, intrigue, reality-based-fiction, romance, survivalist, suspense
Recommended to Tamara by: Dianne
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from March 25 to 26, 2012, read count: 1

I powered through this book in less than five hours: it was THAT good! I recommend OTI to all, and not just romance lovers. There definitely was romance but this story is more about humanity and what it takes to survive with very little; what people are truly capable of when their limits are reached/tested.

I was completely fascinated by the story of a boy on the verge of manhood, coming off the tailspin of grave illness, who then gets thrust into circumstances that make him the man he'll be forever. Graves was a master at the POV switch. I never got confused, never stuttered over that internal voice that drones while reading. It was seamless, riveting, engaging and vital, all rolled up into a tantalizing mix of "What's going to happen next?"

What I loved: where to even begin? I will say that Graves grounds the reader in the reality of the times. She used real-life events that are well known to underscore her tale, adding realism and authentication to the reading. The age disparity between Anna and T.J was also interesting. Anna stayed ageless on the island, almost going backward in her maturity as she began to trust and rely on someone far younger than she. Conversely, T.J. matured because of circumstance and they began to meet somewhere in the middle. The action and pacing were top-notch and not at all comparable to one another. There are at least five different calamities which strike the pair while they struggle to survive and it was fascinating to watch them cope. I especially loved the way Graves stripped Anna of her inhibitions, her fight to not love T.J. Every time Anna reconciled her feelings toward him, some circumstance would occur that would strike her position and she'd rethink things yet again. The evolution of their relationship was the best part of the book. It all made sense and nailed me to the pages. I literally couldn't put the book down. Rare.

What I didn't like: nothing.

There aren't enough stars for this book. I don't know what Graves is writing in the future but I'll be buying it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Ok this had better be within my budget. I have to read this. Going to amazon right now.

Tamara Rose Blodgett Yes, it should be. I think it's like .99 cents or $2.99? It is completely engrossing, you're gonna dig it! Promise. Have you read Angelfall? That's interesting and different...

ttys~ :D

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori I have not. I will go add it to my kindle. Author Samantha Young is reading some really interesting books right now by Daryana Jones (I think that is her name) anyway they were like 7.99-10.99 for the kindle versions. I had to pass. I wish publishers would realize they can read a whole new readership if they would lower the prices of at least ebooks. But then again what is too low....I want to make it worth the authors time to write. There just seems to be no happy medium right now for ebooks. End rant. Anyway thanks for the recomendations they haven't failed me yet.

Tamara Rose Blodgett I'm so glad we have similar enough tastes that you like what I've recommended:) I take all my GR friends suggestions to heart too. I <3 Samantha Young! And those book covers~! Yes, I am well-aware of price point. It's not affordable to read books that are priced too high if you read a lot (or not!). I'm super-lucky to be Indie. I can price my stuff low enough for readers to afford and high enough so I make a little bit of moolah, lol! eBooks are evolving. Who knows where things will be in a few years? I can tell you, I'm so grateful for my Kindle! I use to lug books around... no more! *freedom*

ttys~