Eleni ( La Femme Readers )'s Reviews > Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck was an eloquently written novel that left me feeling electrified with its refreshing plot and artistic value. Brian's depiction between two styles of storytelling was creativity to its fullest. This was the first time I read a book that was told halfway through with character pictures. It was a pleasant surprised getting lost in the movement of the character's scenes instead of acting it out in my mind.

Ben and Rose's inter-tangled lives were pieced together in such a beautiful manner, which increased my curiosity about them. Ben's introduction started with lonesome moments, but escalated into a yearning for answers . I loved going through the journey of finding his father. He was quite brave to go to New York without any assistance. His determination was infectious; I couldn't help but root for him to find out the truth.

As for Rose, her story broke my heart; she was such a sweet girl, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. I admired her non-stop attitude in wanting to spend time with her mother. In addition, due to the fact that she was deaf, I was amazed at how it didn't get in the way of her search alone in a big city. With similar themes behind their stories, it was interesting to see that the even though they were fifty years apart, they still ended up in the same places.

All in all, the novel might be 608 pages, but it felt like 100 pages. The easy dialogue and breathtaking artistic quality in Brian's work, helped me breeze right through it. I definitely recommend this one if you're looking for something different. It's a book for all ages, so don't wait to long to be mesmerized!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderstruck.