Katie's Reviews > 37 Things I Love

Oct 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-ya-contemporary-challenge
Read from April 14 to 15, 2012

37 Things I Love is a very deceiving book. From the cover I expected something light and fun. What I got was a rather serious story that touched on first love, lost friendships, and the death of a loved one. I don’t know if maybe my expectations were just set for something completely different or what but I just didn’t really care much for 37 Things I Love.

The characters in 37 Things I Love were lacking quite a bit. The main character, Ellis, had very little personality and almost no backbone. She never stood up for herself and she acted like it was her job to just take the crap her friend Abby was dishing out. And Abby was not a friend. She was a Grade A bitch. She made fun of Ellis and their other friend, Colin, constantly. And when Abby did something stupid it was Ellis’ fault. Colin was the only one I even remotely liked although he had no backbone either.

The plot didn’t seem to go anywhere. Don’t get me wrong the book was a quick read but mainly because it was only 224 pages and had short chapters. It was actually pretty dull and kind of predictable. I just didn’t see any real change or growth until the end of the book. I expected so much more.

Overall, 37 Things I Love just fell short of my expectations. I really wanted to like it but I couldn’t. I would recommend getting this one from your local library if you are interested in reading it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 37 Things I Love.

04/15/2012 page 115