Ben Jackson's Reviews > Running Blind

Running Blind by Lee Child

Oct 15, 11

Read in June, 2011

I really like the Jack Reacher books. They are usually smart, fun, interesting, and the character is just so damn badass, that they make for great popcorn.

Unfortunately, this one just is pretty bad. Better than the bad books of most other writers, this one still falls short on most marks.

Given, it is fun to see Reacher beat up on bad dudes, which he does with aplomb. However, the bad guys here are so predictable that the big surprise ending is evident from the character's initial introduction. The "unsolvable" method of committing the crimes central to this story is both obviously telegraphed and eye-rollingly bad. What makes the Reacher books so great is how authentic and plausible the characters seem, and in this novel nobody is believable.

Luckily, the following novels shrugged this slump off, so don't give up on the series if you get here and feel like Reacher's lost his shine. He hasn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Blind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new) - rated it 1 star

Pat I'm relieved to hear you advise not giving up on the series. I've enjoyed the three previous books but this one is a big disappointment in so many ways. I was determined to finish this book but in my head I'd wiped the idea of reading any more Jack Reacher. I'll take your advice and continue the series. Thanks for the heads-up

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Jackson Thanks for your comment, Pat - and don't give up heart. The books recover quite nicely. Generally, the series is pretty even, with a few standouts and a few misses (like this one).

message 3: by Pat (new) - rated it 1 star

Pat Thats great to know. I appreciate your advice and will take heart. Don't think I'll be reading Mr Reacher again for a little while though. :)

Nadine Same here, thanks for the tip. I really like Jack Reacher as a character, but this book was a disapointment! I don't mind a little bit of suspension of disbelief, But that was too much. I guessed how the murders were done halfway through, but I kept hoping I was wrong, it was such a lame idea. I wasn't sure if I would read the next one or not.