Jana 's Reviews > A Midsummer's Nightmare

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-reviewed, comtemporary-challenge-2012
Read on May 31, 2012

When I first read the summary last year, all I can think of was: I WANT THIS BOOK. I NEED THIS BOOK. I mean, come on, it's Kody Keplinger (one of my favourite authors) and a story of a messed-up girl and a boy who's her future step-brother, who she had a freaking ONE NIGHT STAND with? HELL YES PLEASE!! Now, after finishing this book, I just can't stop grinning and typing this review up just makes me want to re-read the book again and again. It totally exceeded all of my expectations.

The characters are truly what made this novel for me. Each and everyone was brilliantly flawed, but loveable at the same time, and you just can't help but root for them. You have to feel bad for our main character Whitley - this poor girl has been through a lot. Her (sometimes) stupid actions and emotions are understandable, yet I admit I wanted to pull my lovely hair out in regard to some of her idiotic actions. From the summary and before starting this book, I thought I wouldn't like Whitley's character, and thought that she'd be one of those protagonists who whine and moan all the freaking time. Thank God she was anything but that. I love Whitley - she's feisty, cynical, a little messed up, but overall a really great person who just wants a complete family and someone who truly loves her.

I became invested with all the other characters aswell - Nathan, her future step-brother who she's already seen naked (oh la la) who I just fell in love with. Uh, can you blame me? Nathan is just so sweet and caring and OMG who knew a nerdy guy can be so hot at the same time?? Also, I admire how he's so protective with his younger sister (she was a sweetie!) and I enjoyed his relationship with their dad. I DID NOT LIKE WHITLEY'S PARENTS AT ALL. I thought both of them have been pretty selfish and immature. It makes me sick. Anyway, I thought her step-mum was so sweet! I felt sorry for her at times (because of Whitley thinking she's the evil step-mum hehehe) but in the end, I love how they all came together.

I just can't resist any of Kody's books. I love all of them because they are SO realistic, and I love how she doesn't try to shy away from all the 'bad' topics - sex, drugs, drinking etc. I must say, her books are one of the most authentic and she GETS teenagers. She capture's a true teenager's emotions and how her characters act and feel are SO TRUE.Not only that, her writing's very compelling, and even though this was 300+ pages, I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. Even though the plot is obvious and predictable, I thoroughly enjoyed reading A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTMARE, and you KNOW that it be a happily ever after in the end, but you just can't help wanting to know HOW.

If you haven't read any of Kody's books (The DUFF and Shut Out) yet, then shame on you. You're the one that's missing out. This is by far, the BEST Kody Keplinger book so far, and I've no doubt her book will match the brilliance of this, possibly even more. Now I'll just cry in a corner until her next book comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer's Nightmare.

message 1: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Bielman Hi Jana! I cannot wait to read this! I loved Kody's other books.