Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews)'s Reviews > Make Me

Make Me by Parker Blue

Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

My overall enjoyment with this series has severely decreased with each subsequent volume, and Make Me is no exception. Many of the previously mostly enjoyable characters change drastically for no (or a supremely stupid) reason (Val, Shade, especially, come to mind), the pacing is off (very noticeable and distracting in the first and last segments), the uneven POV shifts from first person to third person omniscient, certain elements feel shoe-horned in and pretty deux-ex-machina-y ((view spoiler)), and... I was bored. A lot. Initially a charming if somewhat formulaic series about a teenage vampire Slayer, the Demon Underground series has grown bloated and boring. This is one of the novels I've gone back and forth on rating - from a 2 to a 1, finally meeting in the middle at 1.5 stars. There was literally nothing about this fourth foray into Val Shapiro's life that I enjoyed.

I hate not loving books I expect to enjoy. The first three ( Bite Me , Try Me , Fang Me ) were never the most original or innovative of the young-adult paranormal genre, but they were snarky and often funny, with a strong and decisive protagonist. The reads of the the first three sped be on the strength of Val, her inner monologue and Fang, the talking mind-reading hellhound. Now, that previously strong girl has morphed into a whiny, annoying and often harebrained version of the girl who used to be Val Shapiro. A love triangle and stupid assumptions mar a lot of what good Val does bring to the table; I won't deny I still like reading about can-do girls who can defend themselves, but I wish so much time hadn't been spent on melodrama and boy troubles.

I had issues with the style and presentation of the novel and its plot from the beginning. Ones I don't recall having with the previous three, which either means this seriees is somewhat forgettable (true) or that something has changed, or I've just outgrown these particular books (entirely possible). For one thing, I hate hate hate when authors jump between first and third POVs for character narration. It's weird to be in the head of Val and then in the next chapter, be jerked to distantly viewing Micah and his subplot. It just doesn't work; it causes a problem in my reading and in also how I relate to and invest in the characters involved. I don't care what one the author chooses, but it should be one and it should be used for the entirety of the novel. Sure there are some authors and characters that could pull off the dichotomy, but Val and Parker Blue are not among them.

I'm not even going to go into the myriad other problems I had with this book because I'm underwhelmed, disappointed and frustrated. I'm done. All I can really say is that I won't be reading the inevitable fifth addition to this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Me.

07/21/2012
29.0% "Val is sadly quite a bit more annoying this time around..."
07/21/2012
43.0% "Shifts from first person to third person omniscient: me no likey. At all. Pick one, and stick with it!"
07/21/2012
56.0% "Anytime I read "Asmodeus" I think "Asmodean" from The Shadow Rising/Wheel of Time! ("You? Noooooooo!")"
07/21/2012
59.0% ""Life was a bitch, but I could be a bigger one."

#1. So true #2. That's the first half-chuckle this book has had for me. Such a disappointment so far."
07/21/2012
87.0% "So so ready to be done with the book. This is a series that went seriously downhill for me."