Rollie's Reviews > A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

2049248
Oct 21, 11

Read in October, 2011

I'm Rollie... and now leaping over my bounded forte?

Romance is the least among the genres that I craved to try. Instead, I stumbled upon reading this love story book. A risk indeed to read a different genre especially when it exempts among the genres you always thinks about. Thus, it doesn't just take twenty gulps to risk for it but takes time and sweat to decide the dilemma whether to give it a shot or not. Lately, I decided to widen my braced genres and I thought this book is worth the risk to try. So as a love story as this title represents, I'm afraid that the further words I will emancipate may loosen up the tightness of the statement I previously, in my reviews, professed.

The life of Landon Carter during 1958 has been brought back by his memories.

Landon is sixteen-year-old senior high student of Beaufort High School, North Carolina. Being a son of congressman, who he rarely see in their house in a year, is normal. Being with his friends Eric and Margaret are even normal for him, for he used to be with them since grade school. But being the Student Body President is another thing, while signing up for Drama Class is definitely not his thing.

Jamie Sullivan is surely the last girl in the world Landon wanted to marry but absolutely not the last girl to ask as a date for the school's homecoming. As Landon's world becomes closer to Jamie's, he'll find a plan he never thought fated for him.

I was sure then before I tried that I wouldn't like this book, though I was in the mood to read this kind of book. The moment I fixed my eyes onto the surface of the first page of the book's prologue, my feet as if set foot onto the world of what I was reading. I became the main character himself. Marvelous really it is to say how amazing the approach of the main character's perspective to me as a reader. Truly effective. A perfect thing to add up is that the perspective used in the story is from guy's character, considering that it gives perfect justice to how a guy thinks, utters, and acts.

The story composes of just simple elements: The typical story of ugly duckling that turns into swan; typical story of a jerk guy who fell in love to the swan; and a typical story of a man who'll do anything for love. The magic of how it turned out to be good is the summation of all those factors. Moreover, Sparks really used the overused concepts perfectly during the shifting of events, which of course a positive move for the book to become better.

I'm told that the movie is way better than the book. Granted, for I am one of those unfortunates who haven't watched the movie yet. Yes, I did not itch to watch the movie the moment it had been shown in cinemas nor did I eagerly wait for it in movie cable channels. But I'm very much glad, for I think that choosing to read first the book over watching the movie is one way or another, a smart decision.

I honestly admire Sparks for writing down the solid description of Jamie Sullivan, yet unknowingly behind her image is a great mystery. That despite of the best answer a normal person could offer to the reason of her action, there is still hidden truth behind it that alters the nearest possibility.

The greatest thing I liked about this book is the profound messages of the story beyond what are written, though some are already given. I liked how faith works at Jamie, that even though everything has been taken from her, she dignifies how her faith still remains. I was also touched at how simply a very kind person could turn the people oppositely to what they were. There is even presence of the true effects of love, which it leads the in love human to think either sane or insane. And the story, in a way, emphasizes how humans should give attention, importance and deeper understanding on the things that surround them not until it's too late. And the best of all is how faith can bring out the miracle to the surface out of the deepest pit.

I admit that there were many times the book led me on the verge of tears. For I reckon that this book, no matter how cold-hearted I am, is no wonder a heart-moving one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk to Remember.

Kwesi 章英狮 Eew! In love raw siya habang binabasa to.

Rollie because i haven't seen the movie yet kaya parang maganda.

Kwesi 章英狮 Weh? Haha!

Rollie oo!

Kwesi 章英狮 Naiinggit ako everytime I read your reviews.

Rollie Ngeeeek. Bakit naman?

Kwesi 章英狮 Secret ko na yun. :P

Rollie Kainis ka naman. :D Sabihin mo nalang bukas. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Ayaw ko. Period.

Rollie Okay.

Rollie Alam kong may nakalusot pa dito na mali sa review eg. grammar, spelling, etc. Next time ko nalang i-check.

Kwesi 章英狮 Wait, gamitan ko ng word kung meron. Haha.

Kwesi 章英狮 May 3 fragmented at 5 wrong spelling according sa Word.

Rollie Bahala ka. Di ko pa nacheck sa Word.

Rollie Okay. Check ko nalang maya. :D May prob sa Word ko ngayon at di nagchecheck kahit names.

message 16: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Oct 20, 2011 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Baka may na click ka lang sa Grammar or Spell checker. Pa-iba ko na tong word ko next year sa 2010 according sa iyo. Haha. Tapus merong 1 word na dapat ibahin.

Rollie Oo. I-update mo na yan. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Okies!

message 19: by Rollie (last edited Oct 20, 2011 11:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rollie Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "Tapus merong 1 word na dapat ibahin."

Parang Alam ko kung ano yan. CHeck ko nalang mamaya. DI kasi mabasa ng WOrd dito. Bobo talaga. Hehe.

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Okay lang.

message 21: by Rollie (last edited Oct 21, 2011 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rollie Done with editing! May sinadya akong fragmented sentence diyan. :)

Joyzi Sparks fan ka na ngayon ^^

Rollie Not really. bwahaha. Kasi yung unang book niya na binasa ko ehnapangitan ako eh. Haha. Two more books to go to impress me at magiging fan niya ako. :P

Joyzi ano pa bang Sparks nabasa mo? Maganda yung Last Song, The Notebook pwede na rin yung Dear John

Rollie The Guardian. Yuck! Haha. Try ko yung The Notebook kasi may kopya ako. :)

Joyzi yun maganda yun, maganda din yung movie nun

Rollie Yes. Napanood ko na yung movie kaya doubtful ako kung magugustuhan ko ang book.

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: Okay lang yun di ako grammar nazi so okay lang siya talaga kahit may mali ka at first place. Haha.

Joyzi mas maganda yung movie IMO

Rollie Kwesi: Chineck mo pa kasi eh. Di na tuloy ako napakali. haha

Joyzi: Yes, nasa isip ko yan. Pero di ko pababasahin kasi baka ako maadik sa love story. haha

Sashana I love this book! Did you see the movie yet? I cry everytime.

Rollie Sashana: I haven't watched the movie yet. lol.

Sashana You should, it's a bit different but it's still amazing! You ca nwatch it on youtube

Rollie Thanks Sha. I'm actually thinking about especially now that I've already read the book. :)

jzhunagev Mr. Romantiko! In fairness I like how you wrote this review, huh.

(view spoiler)

Rollie Thanks Jzhun. Flattered ako kasi ikaw ang isa sa mga gusto ko kung magreview. hehe

BTW, bout sa story mo. Sira ka at baka ako mapakanta ng CRY.

message 37: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Parang kailan mo lang binili yung libro, tapos mo na kaagad basahin

SANA GANUN DIN AKO KABILIS MAGBASAAA

Rollie INGRID, I'm one of the slowest readers here, if you just only know.

Kwesi 章英狮 Sana ako rin ganyan ka bilis. :(

Rollie Nakaka-insulto ka talaga Kwesi. Bwesit ka. :P

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha. Bakit naman?

Rollie Sa palagay mo ganyan ba ako kabilis. BTW, thank you so much. You're one of the best talaga and pati na sina Alona at iba. Touched ako. hehe

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha. Kapal! Niyahaha. Psst, nagreply na ako sa FB wall post mo.

Rollie Di muna ako gagawa ng review. Pinagtatawanan niyo review ko. :P

Kwesi 章英狮 Hindi ha, insecure much!

Rollie Asus.

message 47: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Your best review so far. I really liked it! :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Agree with KD.

Rollie K.D.: Mangiyak ngiyak ako sa comment mo. :D

Kwesi: Haha. Plastik mo. Tinutukso niyo ako sa personal about dito. :P

Kwesi 章英狮 Ha? Maganda naman talaga, nakatatak kasi sa isipan namin. Yun ang reason bakit tinutukso ka namin! Haha. Mr. Romantiko!

« previous 1