Katie's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jan 29, 12

Read from January 26 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

26 January 2012

Marvelous, stunning, beautifully depicted...This is merely the praise for the aesthetic quality of the hardcover book! Today I went to the local bookstore to pick up my copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell when I noticed that The Night Circus was in the section of bestsellers, which they sell the hardcovers for 25% off.

I realize now, looking back, that this cover intrigued me time and time again. How many times did it memorize me before I had to argue with myself to keep from overspending? That is only the beginning of the beauty of this book - which is both beautiful in design and story. I have a habit upon purchasing a hardcover of removing the slipcover before reading it. Today I did so and found myself wondrously surprised...it is a deep black, with elegant silver designs and type on the front and binding respectively.

Then there is the inside of the book, which features many black pages with tiny starts or circular black and white stripes radiating from the text. The inside cover for front and back is a vertical black and white strip contrast that leaves tingles in your mind upon seeing it. I love the cover page as well, white stripes radiating outward where a few stars. Elegant, classic, refined.

The book itself is quite mysterious - as mysterious as the characters and Le Cirque de Rêves.

If, god forbid, I happen to damage this book I would feel no regret at purchasing another to have pristine in my collection.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for beautiful books. I will update later after I have finished the intriguing story found within this most beauteous book.

29 January 2012

It too me just three days to finish reading this book and I even neglected it for a day (for the sake of productivity, I needed to finish homework)!

While the first half the book I would have said I disliked no one - not even Prospero or Alexander. However, at the end I find myself hating Prospero, feeling sad for Alexander, intrigued by Tsukiko's story, disappointed and yet proud of Isobel, cheering for Bailey, and depressed and then happy for Marco and Celia. What a cast!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

01/26/2012 page 142
37.0% "What an exquisite, delicious book!"
01/27/2012 page 218
56.0% "Delicious. Bailey is my favorite character - he is very real."
01/27/2012 page 218
56.0% "Delicious. Bailey is my favorite character - he is very real."
01/27/2012 page 233
60.0% "Yay for small and big rebellions!"