Katie's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Oct 16, 11

Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book is pretty basic, a bit cliche, but I think it's done well. So many seem to be repeats of the same storyline that I am bored to tears reading them, but considering I just picked up the book last night and finished it this morning that is a sign.

Chinese beliefs are a heavy inspiration to the universe presented in Eon. The repesentation of the female and male energies can be compared to Yin and Yang: the dark and the light, the feminine and the masculine, the evil and the good. Of course it is refered to as Moon and Sun energy instead of Yin and Yang. This simplification of mythology to more basic terms is common in fantasy fiction.

Another strong example of this are the dragons, of which there are thirteen. Most people are familiar with the twelve zodiac animals for the Chinese New Year. Some of you may have also heard of a commonly told varriation that has a thirteenth animal, the Cat, who is tricked by the Rat into missing out on the feast and thus not included in the Zodiac. While that isn't a complete translation of the mythology in Eon, it is very similar. Each dragon is represented by one of the twelve animals and the supreme dragon is known as the Mirror Dragon.

The fact that the Rat was cruel to the Cat could be made known in how Ido and Dillon (both Dragoneyes of the Rat Dragon) have hurt Eon. It might also be alluded to in how the Rat Dragon is a false comfort to Eon, before betraying him (through Ido's will).

I would also have to say how the Harem and Empire operates reminds me strongly of how China was in it's imperial days.

Eon's developement from a struggling Apprentice Dragoneye to becoming the Mirror Dragoneye is realistic based on the culture in which he was raised. While I thought him stupid at many times for denying who he was at heart (a girl, a lonely girl) and thus pushing away the power he needed (I thought it was obvious what was drawing in the Mirror Dragon, but apparently not obvious enough for Eon).

That's why, even though Eon is a girl I refer to him as a male for this first review. It wasn't until the end of the book that Eon died and Eona emerged from his shell. Some may see it as a copeout for the price of being a Dragoneye, but Eon gives up his male Hua (the life energy) to the Mirror Dragon. This makes it easier for Eon to be Eona as she no longer has access to her male energy that pushed away her dragon. However, I think it was the correct choice according to the idea that a Dragon takes the energy that is hardest to part with and most dear to the Dragoneye.

For Eon, whose life and ability to survive depending on being masculine, it was everything.

It was a copeout to have the Mirror Dragon miracously heal Eon's crippled hip though. I can understand it not being a problem with Dragon energy flowing through Eon, but a complete fix? No, that was not well done.

Overall, if your not looking for anything too deep but a quick intense read this is a good book. Especially for those in favor of girl power.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.