Dija's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: wow, 2010, cotton-candy-fluff, ya, surprisingly-good, awww, authors-i-stalk, my-reviews
Recommended to Dija by: GoodReads, based on my 2010 shelf
Recommended for: Fans of Aussie authors and readers of realistic fiction in general
Read from October 17 to 18, 2011

Remember love
Remember
Love doesn’t make the world go round
Sex makes it spin for a second or two
If you’re lucky
So do chips, sausage rolls and girls in short skirts
Love
Lays its fingers on your heart
And holds it
Under water
Remember that
When the next girl smiles

You know the smile you get when you see an old couple still in love? Or when you see two children holding hands and pretending to be on a "date"? Or when you see two teenagers fall crazily, passionately in love and their eyes sparkle every time they look at each other? Yeah, that smile. That's the one I had pasted on my face the whole time I was reading Graffiti Moon.

Lucy is the sweetest and weirdest heroine ever. There's something distinctly innocent about her, and her personality is a lot like that of a 4 years old's, and I mean that in the best way possible. I love love love Lucy's purity and her introspective personality and how she completely lives in her head. She's honest and speaks her mind, and I've always found it remarkable when grown-ups still retain most of their inner child. Lucy may only be a teenager, but her maturity level is certainly a lot greater than most adults I know.

I also found Ed to be quite the sweetheart. I'm a sucker for artistic boys, so it's no surprise that I loved this guy. What does come as a surprise, however, is my complete acceptance of Ed's feelings for Beth. I tend to generally hate exes of the main characters, but I had no problem with Beth and Ed's relationship. That makes me rather happy 'cause it saved me a lot of energy which I would have otherwise used hating on her.

When it comes to the writing, Cath Crowley does an excellent job of alternating between the two POVs without confusing the reader. Lucy and Ed are both unique in their own ways, but their compatibility definitely shines through in their respective chapters.

Graffiti Moon was an unplanned read because it was simply the shortest book I had on-hand that could be read in between other planned reads, and it turned out to be a lot more amazing than I had expected. It's definitely one of the most heart-warming reads I've read in a while! ♥

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

Quotes Dija Liked

Cath Crowley
“I liked that he had hair that was growing without a plan. A grin that came out of nowhere and left the same way.”

“Remember
Love doesn't make the world go round
Sex makes it spin for a second or two
If you're lucky
So do chips, sausage rolls and girls in short skirts
Love
Lays its fingers on your heart
And holds it
Under water
Remember that
When the next girl smiles”

Cath Crowley
“Mum says when wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth. I want to collide. I want to run right into Shadow and let the force spill our thoughts so we can pick each other up and pass each other back like piles of shiny stones.”

Cath Crowley
“Every time he looked at me I felt like I'd touched my tongue to the tip of a battery. In art class I'd watch him lean back and listen and I was nothing but zing and tingle. After a while, the tingle turned to electricity, and when he asked me out my whole body amped to a level where technically I should have been dead. I had nothing in common with a sheddy like him, but a girl doesn't think straight when she's that close to electrocution.”

Cath Crowley
“For a while, for as long as you're looking at it, that painting is the world and you get to be in it.”

Cath Crowley
“You were right. Real is better. The truth is better. It makes you feel kind of stupid, but it's better.”

Cath Crowley
“Kept dreaming of this spot she had on her neck, this tiny country. I wanted to visit, to paint a picture of what I found there, a wall with a road map of her skin.”

Cath Crowley
“I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what’s on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird.”

Cath Crowley
“If you treat glass right, it doesn't crack. If you know the properties, you can make things; the color of dusk and night and love. But you can't control people like that and I really, really wish you could. I want the world to be glass.”

Cath Crowley
“There was no skin on my voice and she heard the bones in my words.”

Cath Crowley
“You don't have to love someone to have sex with them.'
'I know that,' I say, trying to act like I'm not embarrassed for thinking love and sex are the same thing. I know they're not but I want them to be close enough to at least brush each other as they pass.”

Cath Crowley
“Right now, I'd be willing to kiss Ed through a bag. So it's true what they say about teenage hormones. It seems I'm raging out of control. It's not very Jane Austen of me but it feels pretty good.
The problem is, Ed's acting all Jane Austen on me and he won't stop talking. Shut up, I want to say. All talk and no action is really kind of frustrating.”

Cath Crowley
“Everything is what it is. I just wish it were something else.”

Cath Crowley
“We'll meet and click and sit up all night and everything will tip out of me and into him and the other way around and while we're tipping the night will fade and the world will get pink and in that pinkness he'll kiss me.”

Cath Crowley
“His mouth dips into that freckle on my neck. Thank you, sun. Thank you, thank you, sun.”

Cath Crowley
“I spray the sky fast. Eyes ahead and behind. Looking for cops. Looking for anyone I don't want to be here. Paint sails and the things that kick in my head scream from can to brick. See this, see this. See me emptied onto a wall.”

Cath Crowley
“I never fell in love with her so I guess the part of the brain that controls love doesn't respond to being called a dick.'

'For your sake, I'm hoping no part of your brain responds to being called a dick.'

'Fair point.”

Cath Crowley
“If you don't want a generation of robots, fund the arts!”

Cath Crowley
“Well, all girls called Beth are arse grabbers.”

Cath Crowley
“Most times I look at Shadow and Poet's work, I see something different from what the words are telling me. I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what's on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird.”

Cath Crowley
“A date like that makes a guy wish they would drop the bomb. Right over his house.”

Cath Crowley
“What are you doing?' 'Asking the universe questions.' 'The universe just dumped you over the side of a steep hill. You really want to ask it questions?”

“You grabbed my arse.'
'You broke my nose.”

10/17/2011
10/18/2011
100.0% "Aww! ♥♥♥"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly (Fantasy4eva) I can just see myself falling hard for this book. Wonderful review :)

Dija Thanks, Aly! And if you read YA, I highly recommend this book. It's absolutely wonderful!

message 3: by TJ (new) - added it

TJ Ok, you've peeked my interest... I popped over to get a feel for what the story is about and found nothing but praise. I only see it's about one night time journey to find an artist (etc.) and it's 264 pages.... doesn't it get boring?

Dija No, the fact that it's short is practically half the charm! It's an incredibly short read, and it doesn't drag at all. It's just a really fun and sweet book to read when you want a mindless break from the world, you know?

Arlene Great review Dija. It's always the "unplanned" reads that pleasantly surprise us. I loved this story too. So glad you enjoyed it. :)

Dija Thanks, Arlene! And yes, I'm finding the unplanned reads to be the best these days. :D Have you read any other books by this author?