Tanya's Reviews > Stuff Christians Like

Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, books-read-2011

Oh my lord this book was funny. Being raised in church, this is basically one big inside joke for Christians. Satire & witty sarcasm are my favorite types of humor & are definitely something you don't see too much in Christian literature. Jon Acuff is hilarious & this book was like every weird thing Christians do but no one has addressed them until now. Some of the funnier parts of this book: when that ever uncomfortable moment comes when the pastor asks you to join hands in prayer with those beside you & you have to hold hands with a stranger. I've never had someone try to interlock fingers with me like has happened to the author, but I could totally see it happening. I also laughed when he writes about satan (who he purposefully "gives the middle finger of grammar with a lower case s" to). I also liked the 7 types of people who pray which don't include the Encore-ist (the person who inevitably follows the person who is supposed to close in prayer, boldly defying all rules of group prayer and dragging it on. He explains he doesn't include the Encore-ist on the list of 7 types because "even God can't stand that person".

Basically I think that if you aren't a Christian or go ti church this book might not be as funny because these are a lot of satirical situations that you'd have to experience to appreciate. But it's extremely well-written & I totally fell in love with this guys humor. I checked out his blog too www.stuffchristianslike.net which was funny too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuff Christians Like.