Stephanie's Reviews > Firefly Lane

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Oct 14, 11

Read in October, 2011

A very good book, one that I liked. I had no idea it was being compared to the movie Beaches, though.
I found the setting very comforting, having grown up in this period as well. The references are spot-on, but a little excessive. World events were barely mentioned, but I didn't mind that at all. In fact, I prefer that, or no mention at all. The tone was brisk, and the characters - for the most part, were likable, at most times. I understood how/why of it all as well.
The author has a very nice style, and I think I may read another of her books in the future.. as long as I don't spend the last 2 or 3 chapters crying my eyes out. (YES, I understand why the author did this, and I whole-heartedly agree. But having just lost a good friend a couple weeks ago to lung cancer, it hit a little bit too close to home for me.)

I hope this books makes ALL the women who've read it, start doing, and keep doing self-breast exams. EVERY YEAR. And if they have not gone to get a mammogram, PLEASE DO. I almost lost my best friend since 6th grade to the most aggressive form of breast cancer last year, and she just barely made it through.. I would hate for any of YOU to go through the same. PLEASE get your boobs Checked & Mammogrammed!!

Thank you, Mrs. Hannah, for sharing a small piece of your life with us all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.