Eastofoz's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Megan Hart

Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: 1st-person, erotica, contemporary
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Anu
Recommended for: Readers looking for an atypical erotic romance

This is a blisteringly hot sizzler of a novel that has a very unusual plot. There’s a lot of sex but it’s appropriate and what makes it appropriate is the very unique kind of writing. For the first 30 odd pages you get the impression that this is a sex with no story kind of book, but that couldn’t be further from the truth so pay attention from page one.

Told in the first person, Broken is the story of Sadie Danning whose once idyllic and just beautifully perfect life has been shattered in a way that I’ve never read before in Romanceville. In order to escape the hell that her life is she meets up with Joe Wilder for lunch on the first Friday of every month and he tells her about his latest sexcapades. Joe holds back nothing. Every vivid and lurid detail is described. As he’s telling his stories Sadie imagines herself to be the girl he’s doin’ the ol’ nasty with. Sadie’s dilemma is that she’s stuck between a rock and a hard place –does she continue meeting with Joe once a month to get her fix or does she drop him and do the “right thing”? But throughout the novel the author asks the question: What’s the right thing? And that’s a really hard question to answer because nothing in this book is black and white.

The story itself will throw you for a loop more than once and make you feel really conflicting feelings towards the heroine and the two heroes. There is some ménage and f/f/f and it all fits in well with the story. Some readers might think that the whole thing is just too depressing and that in essence there’s adultery involved even if it isn’t physical. I didn’t see it that way. This is your more serious kind of erotica that takes you waaaay out of your comfort zone, makes you feel gypped, at a loss, mad, hurt but also relieved, happy and, well, you name it, Hart runs the gamut of the emotional spectrum.

I can’t say I liked either of the heroes, they just suck you dry and beat you down emotionally. Joe is a bastard in every sense of the word and Adam is a selfish, ungrateful sonofabitch but Hart makes you understand why they are the way they are so you can excuse them all the while hating how they behave sometimes. As for the heroine, sometimes you want to smack her and say “just do it!” but then you think what if you were the other person? The guilt just eats away at you in this book but you feel so ripped up for her. It’s like whatever she does is wrong.

Megan Hart is a brilliant writer. She describes the mundane as something new and really makes you feel in a gut wrenching kind of way what it might be like to be the heroine. This is a very strong first person kind of writing where all the other characters are in the background but you can still appreciate them. I don’t think it would have packed as much of a punch if it wasn’t written in the first person. LuAnn McClane (though a completely different kind of writer) also writes in the first person where really there is only the one character but I didn’t like her writing. Hart puts your nerves on edge, gives you goosebumps (the bad kind), makes you catch your breath and gasp all at the same time. The sex scenes are very hot without being icky physically but they’re emotionally draining, sometimes mean spirited and at times very satisfying.

The ending of the novel has the heroine come full-circle and I thought it was very fitting, touching and rewarding. This was very tricky because it seemed that no matter how she’d end it the reader wouldn’t be happy so I was very surprised and thought she handled it exceptionally well. It brought closure and a new beginning. Not only do you get a good feeling at the end of the novel but you feel hope for Sadie where there was really only hopelessness.

If you’re looking for an emotional roller coaster erotic read that will pack a punch right to the gut and throw you off kilter as well, then pick up Megan Hart. When you're done though, plan for a nice happy-go-lucky, light Julie Quinn read after as a kind of vitamin C to kick start your system and make everything right again in Romanceville ;)
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

08/11/2009 page 35
9.11% "Bit of an odd book. I've heard all sorts of things about it so hopefully it's good." 9 comments
08/13/2009 page 68
17.71% "Very good writing. You can't help but feel sorry for the heroine who's in a very difficult situation." 2 comments
08/13/2009 page 200
52.08% "A very unique kind of erotica. Keeps you reading."
08/14/2009 page 378
98.44% "Much better than I expected and in no way a typical romance." 1 comment

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2009 09:17PM) (new)

Great review, East! I think you'd also really like Dirty (which is my all time fave MH book) and Deeper. Both were great reads, and in the same unique and emotional vein as Broken. :)
Tempted I thought was a bit of a hot mess, with an awful ending.

message 2: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Wow, East, you certainly have me intrigued enough to go rooting through my boxes!;)
Great job!

message 3: by seton (new)

seton Nice thoughtful review, East!

Eastofoz Thanks ladies :)

Auntee, isn't it nice to know it's already on your shelf ;)

Audball, I'm going to get Deeper and Tempted sounds good but you're the third person who said it's not that good. Dirty doesn't sound like something I'd like --but then again Broken was sitting on my TBR shelf for a year before I decided to finally read it (lol!) Thanks for the suggestions :)

message 5: by seton (last edited Aug 14, 2009 11:40PM) (new)

seton I agree with Audball that TEMPTED was a depressing story with a bad ending. It's even on my Ending-Sucks shelf. It was still well-written, of course, if that counts.

message 6: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Eastofoz wrote: "Thanks ladies :)

Auntee, isn't it nice to know it's already on your shelf ;)

Yes! And I located it too! It pays to alphabetize!:)

message 7: by Dina (new)

Dina Awsome review, East! I even got a bit emotional reading it, so I can only imagine how I'd feel if I was reading the book. I'm not sure I'm up to face this kind of reading for now, but I noted down the title of this book in my "special" notebook.

Adrienne Great Review East! I plan to read Taking Care of Business when it arrives from the library....kind of working my way up to the more emotionally charged srories.

message 9: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review East! Wow, just reading your review I felt I was waiting in line watching the rollcoster through it's twists and turns, it sounds like one hellva book. I'm kinda torn from picking Broken or Deeper by Megan Hart

message 10: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Eastofoz! Sounds like she puts you through a little of everything emotionally with this one!!

message 11: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Wow! Excellent job of writing a review without spoilers, but making it so darn intriguing I'm thinking about about adding this one. :-)

Eastofoz Seton, thanks for the heads up about Tempted (I have to check out that Endings that Suck shelf of yours). I'm giving it a go if only because several readers said that Broken was just too depressing to enjoy and I thought the opposite.

Wow! Thanks Dina :) You really have to be in the "mood" for a book like this otherwise it'll either be a DNF or on the bad books shelf.

Rane, I've been told that Deeper is even more emotionally charged (!) I've ordered it too ;)

Adrienne, I'll be looking for your review then to see if I should add that too the list (lol!)

Thanks Angelc :) You name it, it's in there emotionally.

Kathrynn it was soooo hard not to stick in even a minor spoiler and it could have been so much better described if a few could've been included but it'd have really ruined the "smack to the head" surprises (lol!)

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Eastofoz, great review of this complicated book. I felt like I went through an emotional wringer after finishing it. Excellent book though. It was my first MH and I bought two of her other books right after I finished this one.

Eastofoz Thanks Theresa :) It was my first one too by her and I felt like I went through the ringer (and the shaker and the throw me all over the placer!) after reading this one. Complicated is a very good way to describe what happens and all the issues it raises.

message 15: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Eastofoz wrote: ...I felt like I went through the ringer (and the shaker and the throw me all over the placer!) ..."

LOL, Eastofoz! I'm not sure I can handle this one!

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review East. =)

Eastofoz Thank you Tammy :)

message 18: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss Great review! This sounds really intriguing. I'll put it on my wishlist.

Eastofoz Thanks Miss :) It's good but it'll likely make any reader feel very uncomfortable, at least I did.