RomReader's Reviews > Circle of Gold

Circle of Gold by Diana Palmer

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: contemporary

Conservative & efficient office assistant can't help but be drawn to the cute & motherless young daughters of her boss' domineering brother. Hero forbids her from playing nanny to them even though his daughters often seek her out. He's suspicious of any attractive woman getting close to use daughters due to a recent nanny who used his daughters to try to get him to marry her. He prefers that heroine strictly stick to her busy office work including teaching his own beautiful but disorganized secretary how to use the computer. Yet he makes several passes at heroine & confuses her about his intentions towards her. She continues to work for him & eventually takes charge of caring for his daughters until his secretary blames an incident with his daughters on her. Will Hero learn to trust her?

I try to stay away from Palmer books but I gave this one a try & was I disappointed. Again. It wasn't awful but it was just a step above it. This heroine is like most of Palmer's heroine: young & a doormat. Hero on this one is also a standard Palmer Hero: domineering/cruel/more than 10 years older than heroine. Overall emotional tone was tepid. I was a bit bored while reading it & I didn't care for the characters. There was some drama with heroine being unsure if Hero's still in love with his dead wife or if his secretary will win his affections. Yet it wasn't poignant or touching. It felt heartless & abusive probably b/c of how the characters acted. Sexual chemistry was inconsistent. I wasn't sure if Hero's sexual play with her was b/c he was truly attracted to her of if he was playing mind games with her. Sex scenes were generalized & occurred only at the end.

Minimally recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circle of Gold.