K's Reviews > What Came Before He Shot Her

What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth  George

May 15, 08

bookshelves: audiobooks, mysterycrime
Read in May, 2008

Listened to this on a very long and rainy drive, and it was exactly the worst thing I could have listened to. George is best known as a mystery writer (she was listed as a P.D. James read-alike), but this is an unusual mystery in that the murderer's identity is known from the start--it's an 11 year old orphan boy with a delinquent older sister and semi-retarded little brother. What the book then reveals is how this unlikely figure becomes a killer, and who will be his victim. The story turns out to be as horribly pathos-drenched as the most manipulative of Law & Order episodes.

I dunno, this book makes me mad, much as shows like Law & Order do when they succeed in upsetting me. They're discussing important issues such as kids falling through the cracks and the ravages of drugs or whatever, but their dubious reportorial value is almost wholly eclipsed by their infuriating smarminess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Came Before He Shot Her.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan i guess i saw this reviewed somewhere, like nytbkreview, and thought the title was so laughable i started a story named after it that was supposed to be a send-up of chick-vic glamorization, or something. it's funny to see this on yr goodreads list. i'm glad you didn't like it.