Katie's Reviews > To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn

To Die For by Sandra Byrd

Nov 25, 11

Read from November 16 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Beautiful. Heartbreaking.

Those are two words that came to mind when I closed the book after reading the last chapter. Wow, what a beautifully tragic story To Die For is! I'd read, briefly, about the Boleyn sisters and, like many others, thought they were two scheming women who seduced the king to get the crown. But Sandra Byrd shows us that oftentimes, there is a lot more going on than meets the eye. ;-)

Through the eyes of Meg, Ann Boleyn dearest friend, we see that while Anne might not have made all the right choices in life, she was driven by true love for King Henry (who, in my opinion, did NOT deserve it!) and a desire to see reformation in England.

I was in tears during the last few chapters, that’s how moving this story was. Anne and Meg's strong friendship was beautiful to watch throughout the course of the book, and tragic to witness just how true they were to each other. Even to the very end.

Because of some of the historical events that take place within the book (people sleeping together, Henry's mistress’, etc), the book may not be appropriate for younger readers. But that is really up to the individual and, really, Sandra kept it as clean and factual as possible. In scenes that could have been sensual and heated, she kept them clean and straightforward. I really appreciated that.

This is the first book I’ve read by Sandra, but I promise it won't be my last! And the Tudor era was so interesting! Sandra wrote with so much life in To Die For, that I was easily sucked into Meg’s world. I will definitely be reading the other books in Sandra Byrd's Ladies in Waiting Tudor series.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Die For.

11/16/2011 page 15
4.0% "Wow, that's one violent daddy! :-o"
11/16/2011 page 86
24.0% "Marry a guy who's older than your father?? Poor Meg..."

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Ooooooooooo looks SO good!! I been to her house :) lol

Katie It WAS good, Hannah. Deff need to read this, if you at all enjoy a Tudor Era book! :-)

Really? Too cool!!