Chris's Reviews > Best European Fiction 2011

Best European Fiction 2011 by Aleksandar Hemon

Oct 26, 11

Read from October 14 to 26, 2011

"In this respect, I thought, he was like Garfield-I mean the cat. His presence or absence made no difference to the rest of the text. Nevertheless, he felt that he had a legitimate right to sit there, to do nothing more than waste space. So Colonel Enke was a sort of literary Garfield. Yet Garfield, the original, was alive and well, despite his uselessness, his obsolescence-giving orders, playing colonel, and being well paid for the privilege."
-Ersan Üldes-- "Professional Behavior" (Turkey)

A great collection of stories. There's something like 30 stories all together from many small countries we never hear anything about literarily.
the collection highlights how global we've become: the Swiss writer sets her piece in Montreal, The French in California, The Bulgarian in Germany, The Hungarian and German in Italy.
Still, occasionally there's that moment upon reflection where I think "That story was so Irish...," or "That story was so Cypriotic..."
I liked the forward by Colum McCann and Alexsander Hemon is an engaging editor: there were a wide range of lands represented and an array of subject matter. BEF 2010 featured its stories alphabetically by country, BEF 2011 presents the stories in reverse alphabetical order, I can't wait for the 2012 edition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best European Fiction 2011.