laura 's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Apr 26, 12

This is an extremely important piece of literature. At first I was put off by the slow unfolding of the plotline and the flat character Kathy, who tells the story from 1st person POV. Honestly I had difficulty getting through the first half of the book as it lacks any truly gripping narrative hook or compelling rising action.

But the conclusion that I came to after finishing this book, is that these deficits were achieved intentionally by the author, and implemented collectively as narrative tools in order to:

1) Emphasize the fact that the main character(s)is a clone who may or may not have a soul. Therefore, there is very little emotion or florid diction.

2) To address the underlying thematic elements such as the ethics involved in using the lower classes of societies to create clones for the farming of human organs. This purpose is never stated but is reached indirectly, making this novel incredibly unique in it's genre.

3) To ultimately create an over-arching tone of empty dullness(hard to explain unless you've read it). Keep in mind that the clones have been created from the less than desirable people of society. The main character speaks to you directly in an elementary way(meanwhile the thematic elements are building indirectly). There's no thrilling, pretentious language in this book. Again I would like to emphasize the fact that Ishiguro does this for a PURPOSE. The big words and flowery language are lacking in this book intentionally.

Furthermore all of these elements lend themselves to the fact that the main character is essentially helpless given her circumstance. The entire book lends itself to internal speculation. There is no true conclusion or resolution, no gold at the end of the rainbow.

The authors gripping embodiment of mono no aware stunned me. I couldn't read anything for a while after I completed this novel. I sobbed my eyes out for hours afterwards and to this day tear up if I ponder the plotline too deeply.

I think it's easy to miss the purpose and meaning of this book for a number of reasons. Ten years ago I may not have understood this novel if I had read it then.

Some books are written a way for a reason. It is rare that I have read a piece of literature that could accomplish such great things while stating so little. The fact that Ishiguro has accomplished this feat leaves me wordless. What other author could do such a thing in so few words?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla You have to trust me when I tell you a book is good AND that you will like it. There are plenty of books I enjoyed and know that you will not like in the slightest. I'm glad this book touched you the way it did. I got another good one for you, but you have to be ready for how it will change your life. Let me know and I will reveal the title....lol

laura Indeed. Well, to tell you the truth, you need to let me know if I will have another month of crying myself to sleep every night. :)

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Paganus Great review. I think it's really important to identify that some stylistic choices are deliberate and not failures by the author (e.g., repetition might have a purpose, even if we find it puzzling or annoying).

laura Ian wrote: "Great review. I think it's really important to identify that some stylistic choices are deliberate and not failures by the author (e.g., repetition might have a purpose, even if we find it puzzling..."

Thanks. Yes, absolutely. Sometimes it takes time to unravel the meaning, even when those stylistic choices have been purposefully employed. This narrative will never leave me. Hence the title: "Never Let Me Go."

;)