All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Spellcaster

Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in March, 2012

Though SPELLCASTER was the first book I've read in this series, it will definitely not be my last. Not even my last this week, as I already have book one queued up to enjoy. SPELLCASTER contained enough backstory that I never felt lost, but after seeing how well Shultz handled Emma and Brendan’s transition to "happy couple", I’m excited to read all the details about their courtship in SPELLBOUND.

One of the things that made Emma and Brendan effective was how Shultz doesn't skimp over the good or the bad. Emma struggles with jealousy and insecurities as much as she enjoys the hormone high of being young and in love, and neither extreme is overly dramatized. Emma and Brendan are affluent, urban kids who manage to slip past parental supervision quite often (think “Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist”, but less bratty and with magic). Sometimes they sneak out to face magical foes, sometimes just to mess around and be teens. SPELLCASTER contained plenty of references to sexual activity, bullying, and underage drinking, but the main characters usually do their best to make good life decisions. The result is a book that resonated strongly with my own teenage experiences (minus the soul mate and magic).

Entertaining banter, a young couple with enormous appeal and potential, and magical plots that have real world consequences; the Spellbound series is definitely on my pre-order list. Until book three appears, however, I'll make do with getting all caught up with my copy of SPELLBOUND.

Sexual Content: Discussions of sex and references to sexual activity; kissing, make-out scenes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellcaster.