Kathy Davie's Reviews > Restless Soul

Restless Soul by Alex Archer

4222001
Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: archeology, fantasy, urban, suspense
Read in October, 2011

Twenty-eighth in the Rogue Angel urban fantasy series revolving around a sexy archeologist, Annja Creed. By night, Annja wields the broadsword of Joan of Arc, by day she alternates between serious archeology and acting as one of two hosts for a cheesy television series, Chasing History's Monsters.

The Story
Annja takes a real vacation with Luartaro in Thailand and on one of their last few days, they pay for a personal tour of a spirit cave in which they find treasure---real and archeological. A smuggler's hoard which the smugglers are very active about keeping a secret.

It's chases up the wazoo on foot and by car with Annja accepting the need to use her sword as she fights to shut down their smuggling ring.

The Characters
Annja Creed is a serious archeologist but is not attached to any one museum or university so if she wants to be on a dig, she either needs an invitation or must finance it herself. Between what she gets paid by the television studio and the hope the studio will be interested in a particular site they can "enhance" for their audience, Annja does okay.

Luartaro Agustin is an archeologist whom Annja met in Argentina while Chasing History's Monsters was filming a segment on penguin-like fossils.

No Garin or Roux.

My Take
Color me surprised! Usually, if Annja has a love interest, he gets killed off in the story! Or, he's a bad guy. Other than that, this particular installment in the series is a bit formulaic without the usual tension. And, no, that does not mean that I wanted Luartaro to die! It's just that the early excitement with the chase down the side of the mountain and escaping the gun-toting bad guys slid down into an easy car chase and a simple capture. Well, simple for Annja.

The usual gold and jewels that the everybody wants for their own and, what Annja sees as the true treasure, carved teak coffins older than dirt.

I did like several quotes in the story:
"We will be known forever by the tracks we leave "
"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
-- Native American proverbs

The Cover
The cover is a bit weird. Her long hair floating behind her, Annja is pacing toward us in rainboots, coming down the stone steps out of the light in a short, black, flirty skirt---hey, its decorated with three sexy buckles on the side!---and a khaki green tank top, weight-lifting gloves on her hands as she holds her sword out in front of her. Gold and jewels are piled next to the steps glistening in the light shining in from the cave opening behind her.

The title is oh-too-true as it is those Restless Souls that catch Annja's attention and set off the firestorm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Restless Soul.