Lisa's Reviews > The Mysteries of Udolpho

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

Oct 14, 2011

it was ok
Read from July 07 to 27, 2012

I obviously read this because of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. I sort of enjoyed reading it - though there was a lot of eye-rolling. I certainly feel a sense of triumph for finishing it!

I'm proud of not succumbing to the mind-numbing use of the word melancholy almost every page (often twice) for the first three hundred pages.

I also didn't give up when after sixty pages Emily, the protagonist, had fainted 346 times. (Fainting, by the way, is apparently the standard reaction to any sort of stress: death of a parent, attack by highwaymen, seeing an apparition, bumping into someone in a dark hall, being startled by a bird, getting a marriage proposal... I know she was probably wearing a corset and couldn't breathe, but still.).

I kept reading when she agreed to abandon the man she loves and follow her aunt (who she doesn't trust) and the aunt's sketchy new husband to Italy rather than spend a couple of years in a convent until she's of age.

And so on. This book is certainly a lark - it's got castles in Italy, bandits, upset carriages, sword fighting, and a LOT of weeping. Very interesting to read fiction of another era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysteries of Udolpho.

07/19/2012 "I've never read a book where the main character is fainting or on the verge of fainting or losing her senses so much; it's quite entertaining in its bizzareness. Of course, I'm skimming over the parts where she waxes poetic & emotionally about landscapes."
07/27/2012
100.0% "I've never read a book where the main character is fainting or on the verge of fainting or losing her senses so much; it's quite entertaining in its bizzareness. Of course, I'm skimming over the parts where she waxes poetic & emotionally about landscapes."

message 1: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Chaffey Hi Lisa, looking forward to reading your review on this
book. Really busy babysitting the grandson so my reading is falling behind. Just finished 50 Shades of Grey. Didn't like it - trash - and I got bored towards the end. Will not be reading the other twol