Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Sacrificial Magic

Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane

5112089
For those of you that enjoyed the sweet, emotional torture that was City of Ghosts, this is yet another roller coaster ride for the heart. Whether it's pounding in fear, or breaking in sympathy, this book was satisfying on pretty much every level.

Like with many other series, the Downside Ghosts, or Chess Putnam series if you prefer, has only improved with each book as we've learned more and tried to understand these incredibly complex characters. Because of the raw, damaged nature of our main character, Chess, you can never quite predict her reaction to situations. Whether her insecurities and paranoia stem from her drug use, or whether that's just a symptom of the bigger issues is up for your debate, and this series is definitely one that provides much food for thought.

If it's even possible, and frankly, before this book I wouldn't have said it was, I think I fell even more in love with Terrible this time around. He might think he's not good with words, or "with the explains" as he would say, but trust me when I say that what he comes out with is just fine by me! There were many squee-worthy scenes to be savoured. Terrible fans will not be disappointed in this instalment!

The ghostly plot was my favourite so far, I think. It was on a slightly smaller scale- contained mostly within the walls of a school over on Slobag's side of town- but it was very well executed and displayed Chess's strengths and gave her something to concentrate on rather than tying herself in knots about everything else that's going on.

For anyone that hasn't picked up this amazing series yet, or perhaps you've seen it floating around on peoples' shelves but have been put off by the fact that the MC is an addict, I have to implore you to reconsider. This is such an addictive (ha), compelling series. Like car-crash TV in a book, that smacks you right in the face with no apologies, you would really be missing out if you were to, um, judge it by its cover. (Did I really say that? Why yes. Yes I did)

And also, you know, it's got Terrible in it. Duh!

5 Stars! ★★★★★
Review Copy: Received from the publisher for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrificial Magic.

03/07/2012 page 31
7.0% "Terrible, Terrible, Terible."
03/11/2012 page 130
31.0% "Oh Chessiebomb...."
03/11/2012 page 160
38.0% "Chess is so insecure it's almost painful to read."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Ha. I am feeling extremely smug right now :)

Negine sooo looking forward to this release! Terrible ;)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian I'm almost scared to read it. Nothing stays all warm and fuzzy in Downside for long.

message 6: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom Cruel, sniff sniff, how cold you be so cruel....... ;' ~( I's need some Terrible, I's needs !

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Yodamom wrote: "Cruel, sniff sniff, how cold you be so cruel....... ;' ~( I's need some Terrible, I's needs !"

I's sorry Yodabomb:)

message 8: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom So, 5 stars + ??????

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian I'm not very far in but it's great so far :)

message 10: by Yodamom (last edited Mar 08, 2012 09:12AM) (new) - added it

Yodamom Not done ?... What you slept and had a life outside the book ? LOL Enjoy it.Lynsey wrote: "I'm not very far in but it's great so far :)"

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ "And also, you know, it's got Terrible in it. Duh!" love that!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian LOL It's true though, aye?

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ yes....but i keep hearing JAMIE....LOL!