Zachary's Reviews > The Skies Of Pern

The Skies Of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

Nov 26, 08

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in November, 2008

McCaffrey has churned out another book in her Dragonriders series (or Pern series, if you prefer). This one is placed towards the end of the time line of events in the Pern universe. Thread is falling for the last time due to action taken in the previous book by Aivas, the artificial intelligence which remained from the original settlers of Pern.

All that to say the book has quite a history in it's little world, which I think, in the end, works against the flow of the story. Even in the notes at the beginning McCaffrey admits that she tended to get caught up in the stories of various characters to the neglect of the overall story.

Overall the story was pretty good, but I think the inclusion of the Abominators (people that don't like the newer tech being developed and used) may have been overkill. I think she could have still 'covered' their assaults on various Halls and some of the intrigue from more of a distance, without having to narrate entire sections focused on the Abominators themselves. The true main characters were F'lessan and Tai, and when they (and their dragons) were the focus of the narration, the story really moved along.

Though I would not rate this as the best Dragonriders book, it was definitely a solid contribution to the seires. If you love th e Dragonrider books, feel free to grab yourself a copy, but if you haven't read any, don't really bother with this one - at least until you've read some of the others and are hooked into the series...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skies Of Pern.