Fangs for the Fantasy's Reviews > One Foot in the Grave

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Oct 14, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

Cat is back. Now at the head of her own government established force to police and hunt down vampires. 4 years have passed since the last book and she's grown to a powerful, confident leader and a lethal warrior.

But 4 years have also passed without Bones who she can't stop thinking about. As is almost inevitable, he finds her. But he's not the only blast from the past that shows up on her doorstep – her old boyfriend is leaking information about her too assassins and her father, the vampire who raped her mother, has finally raised his head on the scene and it doesn't look like a happy reunion.

And one of her targets got away – well she let him get away. And now he's intrigued and curious and wants to add Cat to his collection of toys. He's unwilling to accept no for an answer and is quite happy to target her colleagues and family to make it happen

And through all this she has to reconcile her old love with her new job, convince her vampire hunting work mates to accept Bones or to decide whether she should leave the job or again deny her lover – to say nothing of her mother who still carries a bitter hatred for all the undead.

A lot of this book is devoted to sex. Thinking about sex, wanting sex, having sex – and, perhaps above all – being jealous and possessive. I think the whole Tate loving Cat was a distracting and unnecessary source of tension and drama (as well as very unprofessional) same with Juan's innuendos and the whole drama between Annette and Cat. A lot of the book was devoted to sex scenes (and the 20 minute orgasm that resulted in screams that apparently damaged her vocal chords *eye roll*) already that I felt were a distraction but, ok, after 4 years apart of celibacy and unrequited horniness, err, love I mean love, I can live with it. But throw in the snarking jealousy plots and we had a lot of wasted text, distractions and completely unnecessary interludes into the story. They also seemed to petty and childish I had to double check to see if I hadn't picked up another highschool YA – these characters range in age from 28 to 200+ but completely failed to act it. Basically, I felt I had to plough through both reams of humping AND reams of snarking and bitter fighting to get to the actual plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Foot in the Grave.