Lauren's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2012

Okay, I LOVED Froi of the Exiles. Both the book and the person. It shouldn't be surprising that I adored the story, because I have yet to not love something written by Melina Marchetta. But I was also blown away by the way that she brought Froi from the dirty street urchin/attempted rapist that he was in Finnikin of the Rock, to the honorable, sexy hero that he has become in the book bearing his name. Again MM wove together a masterful tale, where each word-line-paragraph-chapter was important (and meaningful) to the story. She is also one of the best authors that I have read who exhibits the method of showing and not telling in her writing, and it brings a depth to her books that I rarely find anywhere else.

I generally don't go for multiple story lines, but I was drawn into the lives of those in Lumatere, as well as Froi and his companions in Charyn. We meet many great new characters in Froi, none more interesting than Quintana, the half mad princess of Charyn, whose life has been nothing short of horrific. But there is a charm to her despite the despair she has faced, and I found myself rooting heartily for her and Froi. I can't believe that this story is nearly 600 pages, because it didn't seem nearly long enough, and I am already dreading the year-long wait for book two!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.