Tina Carreiro's Reviews > The Reluctant Dom

The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton

5209802
Oct 21, 11

Read from October 17 to 21, 2011

Wow. I’m not sure where to start with this book. I found some elements emasculating for me so Seth wasn’t a strong, dominating character, IMO, for me. I could not get into the erotic edge of this book because my mind was to wrapped around the pain and heartache. With that said, this book was very well written and even though I personally did not like certain elements, it deserves to be rated properly. This story is painful to read. It is more of a drama than a romance. I’m glad I was warned about the depth of this story because I prepared the tissues ahead of time. Heartbreaking, soul draining, sad and I loved every word of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Dom.

10/17/2011
10/18/2011
33.0% "This is an emotional ride."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa this one still lingers with me...such a touching story.

Tina Carreiro Ooo, sounds good! I just finished my erotica novella so my reward is allowing myself to read in the genre. Now I have so much to read before I start my next writing project. :D

Thanks again!

Emily Miller Please make sure you have tissues by you as you read this one! It is a very touching story that will stay with you for a very long time.

Tina Carreiro Dammit! You've forced me to get it now instead of later. Thanks ladies! :)

Melissa Oh Tina, yes...keep some tissue handy. This is def a fave of mine and I hope you really enjoy it!

Tina Carreiro OMG! You guys are killing me! You're lucky I'm not PMS'ing or I'd be a mess.

Emily Miller I think I cried for a day after I finished reading the book. It is just one of those books that really makes you stop and think about what you have in your life.

Tina Carreiro Just when you get your mind to accept this, it switches and you're reminded of the situation. I'm at the part where he went out of town and left the two of them alone.

Melissa When Kaden went away right? This is such a good book...hope you r enjoying Tina =)

Melissa Tina, I'm so glad you liked it! This story still lingers with me...I love Kaden and Seth!

message 11: by Tina (last edited Oct 21, 2011 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Carreiro I did love it! I have never cried that much reading a book. I'm impressed by the author's ability to write pain with such depth that you can feel it.

I loved both guys but there were just some things I found "sweet" but not manly. My opinion on that shouldn't affect the authors rating though because the book was written very well.

Melissa I loved the last chapter how it was flipped to Tony's POV and how he say the growth of Seth and Leah and knew that they deeply loved eachother and that things would be okay for them.

Emily Miller I am so glad you liked it, Tina! I totally agree with you on the '"sweetness" of Seth. He wasn't as dominate at I thought he needed to be, but in the end, it was what Kaden new Leah needed. My focus was on the emotional part of the story. The erotic part took a backseat to the main story line...which to me in this case wasn't a bad thing at all. This story definately stayed with me.

message 14: by Ollie (new)

Ollie HI Tina!

You have to read Fifty Shades of Grey (Book #1) and be prepared to have Fifty Shades Darker (Book #2)ready because Book 1 ends on a cliffhanger.

I have never read this genre (BDSM and didn't think I I would like it) but I have read so many great reviews I couldn't resist. OMG I YOU WILL LOVE CHRISTIAN GOD IS HE SO HOT AND SEDUCTIVE! The author said it is a growing love story with the guy just having a kinky side to him but the premise is on the relationship WOW!

BE prepared to fan yourself and have a box of tissues during the heart-breaking scenes.

If you want a peak into the story you can read the preview on Amazon before purchasing.

LOL I find myself sometimes putting the book down and just trying to analyze this guy and figure him out. :)

Emily Miller Totally agree!! I have read both Fifty Shades of Grey and Fifty Shades Darker.....anxiously waiting for the 3 book to be released. These books are among my favorites....more for the storyline and charaters than anything else.

I felt the same way as Ollie did about BDSM. I think that my "southern belle" upbringing made be shy away from this genre, but I kept reading great reviews about a lot of the books that were being written. So I picked up Shayla Black's Wicked Ties...the first book in the Wicked Lovers seris and WOW!!! I was hooked. After I finished that book, I did research to see which books I thought I might read next. That is when I came across The Reluctant Dom and the Fifty Shades series. There are a lot of really great stories out there!!

message 16: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Emily wrote: "Totally agree!! I have read both Fifty Shades of Grey and Fifty Shades Darker.....anxiously waiting for the 3 book to be released. These books are among my favorites....more for the storyline an..."

HI Emily!

Thanks for the info about The Reluctant Dom and Fifty Shades! :) I'm at 62% with Fifty Shades of Grey and MY HEART IS BREAKING FOR ANA! GOD CHRISTIAN SO DO DAMN HOT BUT WHY DOES HE NEED TO PUNISH AND HURT HER?!? HOW DOES HE GET PLEASURE OUT OF HURTING HER!?!

This is the only thing I'm having a hard time understanding since I have never read this genre. He seems to really care for her so WHY hurt her and inflict pain?!?!

Thanks for the input and sorry Tina if I strayed away the conversation from this book. If you can just let me know the reasoning behind this need it may help me understand this genre.

Thanks. :)

message 17: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Carreiro You guys are killing me! So many books and so little time ... lol I'll add this to my list, Ollie. Thank you!

The Reluctant Dom was incredible. It's very deep and you can forget about the erotic side of the story. You get to invested into the characters heartache to even bother with the sexual part. The book is very well done.

Dammit, Emily! I'll add yours too! :D

Melissa Tina! You never read Fifty Shades??!! You need to!!!!

Emily Miller Ollie, as you finish Fifty Shades of Grey and then read Fifty Shades Darker, you will come to realize why Christian hurts Ana....and so does Ana. As much as I loved Grey, Darker was so much better. So much more comes to light in the 2nd book.

Tina, The Wicked Lovers series is a lighter read then the Fifty Shades series and The Reluctant Dom. But the storylines are really good too. I am like you if feeling that there are so many great books out there and there just isn't enough time to read them all. I always feel like I am going to miss that one book that will just turn my world upside down! My TBR list is so incredibly long it is scary!!

message 20: by Ollie (last edited Oct 24, 2011 03:19AM) (new)

Ollie Emily wrote: "Ollie, as you finish Fifty Shades of Grey and then read Fifty Shades Darker, you will come to realize why Christian hurts Ana....and so does Ana. As much as I loved Grey, Darker was so much better..."

Hi Emily!

Thank you so much for the info! I can't wait to find out why Christian would want to inflict pain to someone he cares. Since I suspect he probably went through something traumatic but I guess in my line of reasoning I would think I would not want to inflict upon someone else the horror that I would had experienced. UGH!!! I can't wait to find out! I just hope I will be able to understand him. :)

Emily Miller Ollie,

I think that you will be able to understand. It's hard to say anything else since I feel it would give too much away. Darker is definately a growing novel for all involved. :)

message 22: by P.A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.A. Lupton I just finished this book. Holy Cow--I loved it. I bawled like a baby. You're right Seth was not dominant in most of the book but I liked how he became dominant later. I also thought it was a refreshing change to have 2 guys who were not normally dominant willing to go into that lifestyle for the love of their woman.