Pamela's Reviews > Skeletons at the Feast

Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian

Jul 28, 08

Read in July, 2008

Was unsure what to rate this book, as it's kind of hard to say that you enjoyed reading a story about the Holocaust. And to tell the truth, there was a lot of this book that I didn't enjoy. It's evident that Bohjalian thoroughly researches all his topics before writing on them - the depth of knowledge for each of his books is astonishing - but at times this book was too graphic for me. The details were too gory and disturbing, and sometimes I felt as though he was just restating some of the horrible facts he had uncovered during his research. Obviously a book about the Holocaust and about war in general is not going to be a happy tale, but I don't enjoy being depressed and feeling sick while reading a novel that I'm reading for pleasure. However, I can't take away the fact that his writing is impeccable and the story is haunting. So I guess I have to say that I liked it - though I didn't enjoy it. (For the record, I picked up this book strictly because Bohjalian wrote it, and I'm a big fan of his. I went into it not having the slightest clue what the plot was about, so that's something to take into consideration when looking at my review. I was just thrown off a bit, I suppose.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeletons at the Feast.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda can't wait to hear what you think of this one. it's on my list of must-read!

Pamela Just started it last night, not having the slightest clue what it was going to be about - I got it just because I like that author's other works. Interesting so far. I'm so impressed that he can write on any and every topic!

Rachel I totally agree! I'm glad I read it, but I can't say I enjoyed it either. Did the sex scenes bother you at all? I thought they were over written and for the most part unnecessary.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I enjoyed your review and had a very similar experience with what I read of this book. I have read all of Bohjalian's books and was looking forward to reading this one, but I abandoned it about 150 pages in (which I NEVER do). The graphic war scenes were too much for me to deal with. I wish I could have stuck with it, but the trade off of nightmares for weeks would not have been worth it! Back to the library it went today.