Luis's Reviews > Bedtime Stories

Bedtime Stories by Diana Secker Tesdell

Mar 19, 13

bookshelves: books-in-english, short-stories, favorites
Read from October 14, 2011 to March 19, 2013

I've just finished this collection of stories and I already feel a good taste in my mouth. Some of them are hard to find in Spanish, that's why I want to tell you about the ones I liked most.

All the stories appearing in this book belong to famous writers, each of them lasting from twenty to forty pages. I do not remember any of them being especially unbearable, so I think that the selection is quite appropriate.

These ones have been my favourites:

- Ursula K. LeGuin's 'The Poacher' was second to none. It was by far the tale I most enjoyed. It talks about the story of a poacher who finds a huge hedge in the forest, whose mystery will unravel. The end is so astonishing that it's hard for me to forget.

- 'The Country of the Blind' by H. G. Wells was also gripping, about the only person with sight in a blind community, but I disliked that the original ending of this story was later replaced by the one that appears here. I strongly recommend reading the original one and if so, tell me your opinion.

- R. L. Stevenson's 'The bottle imp' is amazingly well designed. I had previously read it in Spanish, but it is always enjoyable to experiment it again. If you don't know yet this story, what are you waiting for? This one is at least easy to find.

- Haruki Murakami's 'The Dancing Dwarf' closes the book, but it holds the best of this well-known Japanese writer. The tale combines the two realities of a dream about a dancing dwarf and a weird reality of a worker who builds elephants with an outstanding final.

I must also mention some of them that were really amusing, such as 'The visit' - really weird-, 'The Tiger Bride' - an impressive ending-, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' - far better in a short story than in a extremely long movie, 'Troll Bridge' and 'The Sailor-Boy's Tale'.

To sum up, if you stumble uopn this volume, you won't be disappointed by the wide variety of stories you can find here. Perfect bedtime stories, but for any time of the day as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bedtime Stories.

10/27/2011 page 42
01/04/2012 "65"
01/26/2012
25.0% "I liked the third story, but the fourth was really amazing!"
10/18/2012
50.0% "I really liked 'The bottle imp'"
10/20/2012
50.0% "'The Night Face Up' wasn't bad too."
11/19/2012
65.0% "The COuntry of The Bilnd was a clever story, although it was a bit boring."
11/20/2012
65.0% "I've been reading about the original end of 'The Country of th Blind'. Why did they remove it? It was better than the one that's included now."
03/17/2013
85.0% "Me ha gustado Benjamin Button como historia corta, aunque la película sigue siendo insufrible."
03/19/2013
85.0% "The tiger bride was a bit difficult for me to understand, but quite moving at the end."
show 4 hidden updates…