Audrey's Reviews > Betsy-Tacy and Tib

Betsy-Tacy and Tib by Maud Hart Lovelace

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: turn-of-the-century, read-as-a-child, 1900s, juvenile, favorite-heroines, series, inspired-by-true-story, girls-who-write
Recommended for: anyone!
Read from October 14 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2+

I think I like this one even more than Betsy-Tacy. Maud's descriptions are balm to my soul. For example: “It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside” (p. 4). Such a beautiful turn of phrase. I also really love all of her descriptions of wildflowers and sunsets. :)

For some of the things they did, like the flying (Chapter 2 and 3), I thought that it seemed a bit odd that eight-year-olds wouldn’t know that you can’t fly. But perhaps they were just really innocent and had not ever been told otherwise. Maybe kids today are a bit more cynical because of the media and so many other outside influences? I don’t know.

Poor Tib! I kind of dislike that her dad says she can’t be an architect. There’s nothing at all wrong with being a housewife, but I just feel sorry for her that that option was imposed on her at the exclusion of any other career ambitions (p. 49).

The "Everything Pudding" story (Chapter 5) is fun but am I the only one who cringes at the waste of food? (p. 64) Haha, I'm such a miser. I still love the story, though. I feel kind of the same way about the haircutting thing. I can relate to their mothers’ reactions on that one! They all have such beautiful hair. But…I actually did something very similar when I was little (cut off half my hair—just one braid), but for decidedly different reasons. My plan was more premeditated and not at all sentimental; I just really wanted a haircut!

I thought it was interesting that the girls liked to talk about God. It did bother me a little that their view of faith was so, well, depressing. There is truth in what Betsy and Tacy say (that we are “born bad”, (p. 100) etc.) but they don't mention the hope in Jesus’ redemption! Christianity is not a dour religion. I wish the girls understood that more. They seem very receptive to things of a spiritual nature, and I think that is true of a lot of children. I just wish that instead of deploring their bad actions, they had tried to do GOOD things and reward those. But, I suppose the whole story about the stones (Chapter 8) wouldn’t be quite as entertaining that way. :) I understand that, but I also think that kids have a great potential—an underestimated one—to really do good and be holy. I think the sentence at the end of Chapter 8 really expresses this: “In silence the three of them looked at the sunset and thought about God.” I find that really beautiful and sweet. :)

It's interesting to first read these as a kid and then come back many years later and read them when I am older. And guess what? I still love them! (Though I may be over-thinking some things here a little.) Children's books or not, this is one of the most delightful series you could ever hope to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy-Tacy and Tib.

Quotes Audrey Liked

Maud Hart Lovelace
“It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside.”
Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy-Tacy and Tib

Maud Hart Lovelace
“In silence the three of them looked at the sunset and thought about God.”
Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy-Tacy and Tib

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bluerose's  Heart You made some great points on things that I didn't even think about. I really hate that Tib's father told her that, too!

Audrey Thank you. :)